This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

We finished the semester! Now entering January, there is still some time until the new semester starts. Some of you might be somewhere else now on vacation or are planning to go on vacation soon. But some of you might also be staying at home during the break, like me. Here’s a list of things to do to keep busy!

1. Find a Job

There’s a chance that you already have a job, but for anyone who doesn’t, now there’s time to apply for some jobs to earn some extra cash. If you’re worried about balancing school and work, you can also look for seasonal jobs, so then you’re only there temporarily. 

1. Reading

During the break, I plan on getting back into reading, and I highly recommend it! I believe there’s always a book for everyone, and this could be the chance to dive into a fantasy world, read something that inspires you or learn something new. 

1. Spending Time With Friends And Family

School can make it hard to find the time to spend with friends and family, especially if you have friends who go to school far away from you. But now you have the time to make plans and spend more time with the people you love!

1. Catch Up On TV Shows And Movies

Maybe you were better at watching all the shows and movies you wanted to watch during the semester than I was. It seems like there’s always something new coming out, and it’s hard to watch it all when you’re busy writing papers and studying for tests. But there’s time to catch up with a new season you’ve missed, a sequel you’ve been wanting to see, or anything new that you’ve been wanting to start! (I recommend watching “Wednesday” on Netflix.)

1. Apply For Internships

Everyone always says how important it is to get an internship when in college, and it is true that it can really help you when it comes to your career. Now is the time to apply for as many internships and get them in before the deadlines. You can look on different career websites like LinkedIn or Indeed to find internships that sound interesting to you and are related to what you want to do. 

1. Try a New Hobby

There are so many different hobbies that you can do either at home or outside of it. Montclair State students can go to the arena for free, so you can try ice skating! At home, you can try drawing, writing, crocheting (a friend of mine picked up this hobby and loves it), playing an instrument, doing makeup (I picked this up during the pandemic and love it), scrapbooking, and many more things! 

We worked hard this past semester, and it’s important that whatever you choose to do during the break that you get to relax and have some fun. You’ve earned it!

Selena is a senior majoring in Communication & Media Studies. She loves books, watching TV shows, makeup, social media, and writing.