Vibe with Our Tribe: Rachel Collucci

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Vibe with Our Tribe is a new series here at Her Campus Montclair where you get to know our writers in the most intimate way possible – through their favorite music. Music is one of, if the not the, greatest ways to get know and understand a person. Music allows us to connect with people on a universal level and we want our readers not just to connect just with our content but with the people who write it. Each month, one of our writers will pick five of their all-time (or current) favorite songs and share with us why they love them so much. So throw on your favorite headphones, kick back and vibe with Rachel Collucci!

I have always considered myself to have a wide taste in music, with my favorite bands going from alternative punk rock to bubblegum pop. As a music lover and frequent concert goer, it is safe to say that music is a very important and dear part of my life. With so many different bands and songs on my iPod, it was a bit difficult to just pick five. However, despite the challenge, I was (somehow) able to do it. 

Nobody Compares – One Direction

One of two of my favorites band, it was difficult to narrow down which One Direction song hit me the most. While other songs such as No Control and I Wish almost made it, no song of theirs gives me more chills than Nobody Compares, a bonus track from their second (and my favorite) album Take Me Home. The song just gives me a light feeling, reminding me of my senior year of high school and when being a fan of One Direction was all that life consisted of. It is the ultimate example of the perfect bubblegum pop song. 

Stella – All Time Low

Number two of the favorite bands, All Time Low, has been with me since the age of 12 and has gotten me through some pretty tough times. Stella is from their 2009 album Nothing Personal, another favorite album of mine that speaks to my soul (cliché intended). Listening to the song is magical on its own, but hearing it live and screaming the lyrics to the chorus is a life changing experience, and it’s safe to say that this song is a fan favorite. The pop-punk song is one that will always be a huge part of my life. 

Free Fallin’ – John Mayer

Originally by Tom Petty, I first heard this song while attending a meeting for an outreach group called Young Life. This song is the ultimate camp song and hearing 500 kids sing and harmonize it is a memory that will be with me my entire life. However, while the original is amazing, I always find myself going to John Mayer’s softer more indie cover. Just him and his acoustic guitar makes the song even more uplifting than it already is.

I Wanna Dance With Somebody – Whitney Houston 

This is the song, the one that when it comes on the radio, you turn up the volume and forget all of your worries. It is also the perfect song to picture yourself in a music video to. I play this whenever I need a pick me up, or when I just want to dance around like nobody is watching.

I Want To Hold Your Hand – The Beatles

I tell people that if I could go back in time, I would go back to attend a Beatles concert. Out of all their songs, I Want To Hold Your Hand is at the top for me. I first heard this song while watching Across the Universe, and I instantly fell in love with it. I have a soft spot for songs from the 50’s and 60’s, and it’s safe to say that The Beatles hold a very big place in it. I always find myself listening to this song on a sunny day and I can’t help but dance when I play it. 

Junior at Montclair State University who plans on majoring in English. Known for being stressed, well dressed, and boyband obsessed.