Vibe With Our Tribe: Amina Abdelrahman!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Music has always been a huge part of my life. I love how artists express themselves in ways that listeners can relate to. Since I grew up expressing myself through dance, music was always super important to me.

One of my favorite things to do is attend concerts because being able to hear your favorite songs live is one of the best feelings ever. That being said, it’s pretty hard to pick favorites, so here’s what I can’t stop listening to this week:

Green Light – Lorde

I got really excited when Lorde came out with this new single because I’m hoping to attend Governor’s Ball this June, where she will be performing. This song, although it has a somewhat eerie vibe, makes me want to dance like nobody’s watching. “I know about what you did and I wanna scream the truth. She thinks you love the beach, you’re such a damn liar.” With lyrics like these, it’s obvious that the song has something to do with a bad breakup. She says she can’t let go, but instead of moping around, she’s dancing down the street and on top of cars. So motivating.

Stay – Zedd and Alessia Cara

Alessia Cara never fails to make an amazing song. It’s one of my favorites to sing to in the car. I also may or may not have sung this to my boyfriend when it’s gotten late and we both should’ve gone home already. “I’ve never been the best at letting go, I don’t wanna spend the night alone.”

This paints a picture of a carefree girl wishing a certain someone would stay in their life a little bit longer. It makes me feel so bad that she’s going to lay in bed tonight, hurt and alone.

Out of Love – Two Friends and Cosmos & Creatures

This song reminds me of a modern version of one of those sing-along, feel-good songs. I feel like I can hear people singing, dancing, and cheering in unison when I listen to this. “If you’re running out of love, then I can fill you up, and when it gets too much, just hear me out.” I could listen to this all night as background music and never get bored.

Fall for You – Christian French and Triegy

I found this gem on my Discover Weekly playlist thanks to Spotify. I was completely shocked to see that this song has less than 10,000 views on YouTube; I thought it would’ve blown up by now! (It’s definitely going to happen soon, though.) This is one of those songs that you can just chill out and vibe to. I definitely won’t be getting tired of it anytime soon. “I feel you, you feel me, the way that you see me, you got me like nobody else.” Falling in love because you just get each other is so romantic.

Habits – Jason Reeves

First of all, Jason Reeves has an amazing voice. Second, I cried the first time I heard this song because it’s so touching. I immediately had to add it to my playlist because it moved me so much. With lyrics like, “Cause breaking a hearts like breaking a habit, move me like art then fool me with magic. And I don’t wanna say it’s over,” how could you not be an emotional wreck after listening to this beauty?!

Sooner or Later – Aaron Carter

Who even knew that Aaron Carter was still around?! Before this song came out, I still thought of “I Want Candy” every single time I heard his name, but man, this song catchy. It’s been one of my favorites to play while I’m running on the treadmill because the tempo is perfect for a casual run. “Sooner or later she’ll be walking away, I got something to say to her.” This part of the song is one of my favorite lines because it makes me think of a guy worried about losing his chance to talk to a girl. If he waits too long, he won’t be able to tell her what’s on his mind.

Music is really personal and that was a taste of what I like to listen to. So make sure to add these songs to your playlist and have a rockin’ week!

Image Source: 1

Amina is currently a senior at Montclair State University studying communication and journalism. She has a passion for writing, digital media and creating content. When she's not writing, you can probably find her catching up on current events, trying new fitness classes or searching for the next best restaurant. You can view more of her work at aminalake.com.
Sarah Vazquez is a senior at Montclair State University, majoring in English and minoring in Journalism. She is the current Editor-in-Chief and a Co-Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She is an avid concert-goer, podcast junkie, X-Files fanatic and someone who always has her nose buried deep inside a book.