This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

I’m always chasing that feeling you get when you find a song that just gets you. And I’m never not listening to music; in the shower, on the way to work, during meals, in bed. I need something that gets me through the day. I’m slowly finding the soundtrack to my life.

I’ve gone through so many phases but I never get sick of indie. I want new music that breaks genre conventions and sounds brand new. The following songs are my favorites from this past year. I recommend listening at high volume in a moving vehicle.

“Heat Wave” – Snail Mail

This song perfectly encapsulates a hot summer day spent daydreaming about someone you know you can’t have. When I found this song in my Discover Weekly playlist on Spotify I became instantly obsessed. At 19 years old, Lindsey Jordan is wise beyond her years. The warmth and subtly of her vocals combined with the powerful clarity of an electric guitar creates this dreamy ballad about unrequited love.

“Nobody” – Mitski

I found this through a Genius music interview. Apparently, it was written while Mitski Miyawaki was staying abroad and felt isolated from the rest of the world. I think everyone can relate to those moments where you feel completely alone and one of the most powerful aspects of music is its ability to connect us through sound. I also really appreciate this trippy music video.

“Bad Ideas” – Tessa Violet

The best way to describe Tessa’s genre is “cute weirdo pop.” I absolutely adore her and could play this song on repeat forever. Warning: this may cause you to develop a sudden urge for DIY bangs.

“Slow Burn” – Kacey Musgraves

This one is a bit different than what I typically go for, but I really enjoy Kacey’s delicate approach to indie pop with hints of country sensibility. I first heard this song on SNL and instantly fell in love. This song is on “Golden Hour”, well-deserved winner of the Grammy for “Album of the Year.”

“How Simple” – Hop Along

This song feels like a really honest reaction to a breakup. Sometimes things don’t work out, even though it feels like they should. I love the line, “we’ll both find out, just not together.” This song is like medicine for the recently single.

“Shut Up Kiss Me” – Angel Olsen

There’s something comfortingly nostalgic about Angel’s voice. I feel like her music transports me to another place in time and this video works to that effect as well. I love how moody this one is, but I also recommend the slower, country inspired “Lights Out” for when you need a softer motivational anthem.

“Motion Sickness” – Phoebe Bridgers

Another potential breakup song (shout out to Aly & AJ) about struggling with your emotions. The lyrics are so clever, “I have emotional motion sickness, somebody roll the windows down.” Perfect way to describe that feeling after losing someone you used to love, but realizing it’s for the best.

“Future Me Hates Me” – The Beths

Do you ever meet someone that you know is going to turn your life upside-down but you can’t resist? That’s what this song is about. I’m starting to realize I might be a hopeless romantic. Either way, this music video is a lighthearted complement to a good bop.

“Different Now” – Chastity Belt

Growth is hard, and sometimes painful, but it’s possible. I like that this song suggests introspection as a way to become a better person, because I’ve found that to be a really valuable skill during my time at Montclair State.

Alexa Spear

Montclair '20

Alexa Spear graduated from Montclair State University with a BA in Communication and Media Arts and minors in English and Photography. On the rare occasion when she's not writing, you can find her watching Netflix or lost in the aisles of TJMaxx. Looking for a writer/editor? Shoot her an email at alexarspear@gmail.com
Emma Flusk

Montclair '19

Emma Flusk is recent graduate from Montclair State University, where she majored in Television and Digital Media. She was the Editor-in-Chief and a Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She’s passionate about anything that has to do with lifestyle, beauty and wellness for women. She is a self-proclaimed craft queen, semi-pro binge-watcher and a lover of all dogs.