Style

Versatile Clothing Pieces That Are a Must for Back to School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

The hardest part of getting ready for back to school is committing to the clothes you’ll be bringing with you and wearing all semester long. With tiny dorm rooms, there is only so much space to fit your extensive wardrobe. I get it, you don’t want to repeat outfits every single week, but all your pieces just won’t fit! Luckily, some of the most current trends are versatile and perfect for keeping your college clothing collection interesting without overflowing your closest!

1. Classic white shoes

White shoes have been killing the summer game and will continue to be super trendy into the new season. Specifically, white sneakers have become a staple for many college students because you can wear them with practically anything! This gives you some choices; you can go with classics such as low-rise Chucks, Ked’s or slip on Vans.

Note: If you’re looking for a more business-oriented closet, Steve Madden slip ons are the perfect for any occasion!

2. Two pairs of jeans that you can’t live without

Working our way up, the perfect pair of jeans is always essential for any wardrobe! With today’s trends, I recommend a distressed pair and one solid pair. Making one pair a dark wash and the other a light wash gives you endless options for pairing with cute tops.

3. A denim jacket

Another denim must-have is a classic jacket. You pair this versatile piece with a dress, skirt, leggings or with more denim. This jacket can fill the space for any cardigan you might have thought you needed, saving yourself tons of space!

4. A striped shirt

You can dress it up with some trousers and a blazer or you simply wear it with a pair of jeans and slides to class. Black and white or blue and white are the best color combinations when it comes to making multiple uses out of the shirt.

5. Plain white tee

Once again, it can be worn plenty of ways and since it goes with literally everything. I would even recommend bringing two of these in your college haul for even more options!

Just from this short list of wardrobe staples, you’ll already be the trendiest girl on campus this semester. While it may feel like you have the tiniest amount of clothes now, I promise you’ll never run out of combos.

Cecily Lovas

Montclair '21

Cecily Lovas is a junior at Montclair State University, studying Communications and Media Arts. She's a city girl at heart, constantly exploring New York City, and always looking for new adventures. Her other interests consist of music, movies, and health/fitness. She is a contributing writer as well as project manager for Montclair State's Chapter of Her Campus.
Emma Flusk

Montclair '19

Emma Flusk is recent graduate from Montclair State University, where she majored in Television and Digital Media. She was the Editor-in-Chief and a Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She’s passionate about anything that has to do with lifestyle, beauty and wellness for women. She is a self-proclaimed craft queen, semi-pro binge-watcher and a lover of all dogs.