This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

For all of you Vampire Diaries fans out there, as a fandom we’ve received some major news. There will be a ninth season of the show released in March of 2021. 

Although this is super exciting news; the question is: What will the ninth season entail? For those of you who have been following the show (spoilers ahead) know that the final episode of the eighth season concluded with all of the lead characters basically dying and being reunited with their loved ones in what I’d call heaven. So, since all of these characters- timeline-wise- are dead what does this mean for the new season?

This question is rather difficult to answer because the timeline for Vampire Diaries as well as its two spinoff shows, The Originals and Legacies is a little tricky to follow. Legacies, which follows the lives of the children from Vampire Diaries and Originals characters, does mention Damon and Elena. So in that series, they’re currently alive. 

However, looking into the new season a little more I found information that will definitely anger us die-hard fans. Ian Somerhalder, Nina Dobrev and Paul Wesley won’t be returning to reprise their iconic roles. These roles will be recast for the new season and plotlines, as well as the trailer, have yet to be released. 

So why is there going to be a ninth season you ask? Since the show’s release on Netflix, it has grown in popularity immensely so it seems like it’s mainly to profit off of the show’s rising popularity; however, viewers are demanding a ninth season.

As of now, little information has been released as to what the new season will be about and who will be acting in the show. All we really know is it’s planned to air in March 2021 and that the three actors we know and love as Stefan, Damon and Elena won’t be returning. 

Now, all we can do is wait to see if season nine of The Vampire Diaries will do it justice or just disappoint the eagerly waiting fans.

Lydia Parker is currently a Seniorr here at Montclair State studying as an English major; who is also currently getting her Masters in Education. Like any other college girl she loves going out with friends, but also just staying in and binge-watching Netflix; specifically horror or Disney movies. Writing has always been a favorite hobby of hers, she even enjoys writing essays for school. I know, crazy right? Anyways, she's really excited to be writing for this magazine, and being another outlet for the powerful voices that women have.
Lauren Clemente recent graduate from Montclair State University who studied Communication and Media Arts. She held the role of President and Co-Campus Correspondent, as well as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus Montclair. She loves all things to do with content creation, fashion + beauty and traveling the world.