Unconventional Halloween Movies To Watch This Spooky Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

There are Halloween people, and there are Christmas people. I, for one, am a Halloween person, and I will stand by that Halloween movies are awesome. Now, there are the horror movies like “Friday the 13th” or “Halloween,” and there are the classics like “Hocus Pocus” and “Nightmare Before Christmas,” but I love some that not everyone would consider Halloween movies, yet I still watch on repeat. Here are my top 10 unconventional spooky season movies to watch all month long!

Honorable mentions: TV shows! I could watch “American Horror Story” on repeat forever. I also love “Scream Queens,” “Buzzfeed Unsolved” (available on Hulu as a show) and “Chilling Adventures of Sabrina!” They’re all perfect if you’re looking for something to binge.

1. ET: It’s a kid’s movie about a gentle alien. It’s an 80’s classic.  When I was little, that freaky little animatronic puppet used to give me the creeps. Now I’m just questioning why Stephen Speilberg thought it was good for kids. 
  2. Black Swan: This is a psychological thriller to the core and makes this an awesome Halloween costume that’s been popular since the movie was released. It delves into the dark world of professional ballet, giving a twist to the beautiful ballerinas.  
  3. Jennifer’s Body: Thanks to TikTok, this movie has blown up this year. One of Megan Fox’s classics, it shows her as an incubus. She’s hot, she’s dark, and it’s purely classic if you like cheesy gore.
  4. The Silence of the Lambs: Some consider this a horror movie, I do not. It’s like a dark comfort movie for me. It’s a crime investigation movie involving a convicted felon (and cannibal) as an informant on the job. Anthony Hopkins is truly brilliant in this one.
  5. Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children: Now, this was a light-hearted kids’ book with some monsters- until Tim Burton got his hands on film rights. He made it into a delightful dark movie about an island of kids with unique gifts.
  6. The Craft: People love Hocus Pocus because let’s face it, witches are classic. This movie put a dark twist on your typical witches. A girl moves to a new school where three girls are trying to form their own coven and she gets wrapped up in the middle of it. The consequences are more than she thought. 
  7. Midsommar: This is one of those movies that’s too pretty to be as dark as it is. With a lovely floral aesthetic and a gorgeous setting, this movie gets twisted pretty quickly. Following a family tragedy, a girl follows her crappy boyfriend to Europe for a festival in a rural village.
  8. Mars Attacks: This is one of those movies that is so bad it’s good. Tim Burton had a huge cast with big names of the ’90s and just said “ya, aliens”. It’s hilariously awful and you can’t stop watching it.
  9. Clue: Tim Curry might be one of the kings of Halloween (between the OG It and Rocky Horror) and he doesn’t hold out on this. Based on the popular board game, it’s been turned into a movie. When it was in theaters, different cuts of the ending were sent to different theaters, so no two people saw the same ending. It was really kinda brilliant. 
  10. The Scary Movie Franchise: There are five of these spoofs, all making fun of classic horror movies and poking fun at horror in general. It’s actually hilarious and I can’t believe they made so many of them, but it’s absolutely golden.  
Courtney White

Montclair '22

Courtney is a senior at Montclair State University majoring in journalism and minoring in fashion. She is also working on a certificate for makeup artistry. Originally from a very small town in Northeast Pennsylvania, she plans to live in New York with career aspirations in the media or fashion industries