Tweezing, Waxing and Threading: Pros and Cons

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Eyebrows are one of the most important features on your face. When they are properly shaped, they can soften facial features and bring out the color of your eyes. Therefore, proper upkeep is essential. The three most common forms of eyebrow shaping are tweezing, threading and waxing. All of them can be done at home or done with a professional stylist.

When deciding on which technique to choose, things can get a little bit tricky. That’s why we have put a list of which service will deliver the best result for you.

Tweezing

Pros:

–  Tweezing is ideal for shaping eyebrows and removing small amounts of unwanted facial hair.

–  Tweezing is the most inexpensive way to maintain your eyebrows. Prices range from just a few dollars to approximately $18-$40 for specialized tweezers. It is also convenient and can be done in the privacy of your own house.

–  Tweezing gives you a lot more control.

Cons:

–  Tweezing is not recommended for large areas of hair, because it is slow, tedious and somewhat painful.

–  Improper tweezing may cause ingrown hair and puckered skin.

–  If you tweeze incorrectly and remove more hair than you anticipated to, eyebrows might not grow back later. So be conservative and say no to magnifying mirrors!

–  For people with sensitive skin, tweezing may cause a bit of redness around the area that was tweezed.

Threading

Pros:

–  Threading does not have the possibility of lifting, tearing, or over-exfoliating the skin.

–  Threading is more precise and can achieve a detailed definition of the eyebrow shape.

–  Threading is completely sanitary, because only the thread is touching your skin and it is discarded after each use.

–  Threading involves no chemicals on the skin.

–  Threading is a much quicker hair removal method.

Cons:

–  Since several hair are being pulled out at a time, threading can be more painful than waxing and tweezing.

–  Threading is more expensive than waxing and tweezing.

–  If the person threading your eyebrows is not experienced, the hair can be broken instead of being removed at the hair follicle.

–  Rolling the thread against the skin creates friction and pinching can occur as a result.

Waxing

Pros:

–  Out of all the hair removal methods, waxing tends to have the longest period in between regrowth. It can last between 4-6 weeks.

–  If you have thicker, coarser hair that grows back quickly, waxing is the best option for shaping.

–  Long-term waxing can damage hair follicles, reducing the re-growth of unwanted hair.

–  Waxing can be done at home.

Cons:

–  Waxing has the potential to burn the skin, leaving blisters and possibly scars.

–  Wax residue, or products used to remove it, can sometimes cause skin irritations.

–  Giving precise shape to the eyebrows can be very challenging through waxing, because the wax can glue to wrong hair and come off.