This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

With Halloween approaching, you’re probably trying to figure out what you want to be. Instead of buying an expensive costume, save some money and go through your closet. This is good for any year but especially this one because there isn’t much to do. It’s a lot easier to create a costume with the things you already own than you think and they will also turn out super cute!

1. Have Breakfast at Tiffany’s!

Being Holly Golightly from the movie Breakfast at Tiffany’s is a very cute costume and is super easy to create. All you need is a little black dress, pearls, black heels and a tiara if you happen to have one laying around. Long black gloves will complete the look if you have those too. You can get adorable pictures of maybe eating a croissant while looking into a window or posing with a Tiffany’s bag. Another option would be to wear a white button-down shirt and DIY the sleep mask from the movie and reenact the scene where she is just waking up.

1. Transport to Mystic Falls.

Whether your favorite character is Katherine Pierce or Caroline Forbes, you can easily recreate their vampire look at home. This look requires more makeup than clothing but your outfit is important too. Look at pictures of your favorite character and try to create an outfit out of the things you have that looks like theirs. Then for makeup, you’ll need red lipstick to make it look like blood is coming out of your mouth and you’ll need to use either eyeshadow or a light eyeliner pencil to recreate the veins. When I did this I used a light brown eyeliner pencil and it turned out really good and resembled the show. Of course, if you have fangs and red contacts that would really complete the look but that’s probably not something you have laying around your house. Being a vampire is a pretty basic costume but doing it this way gives it a fun and creative twist.

1. Rule the Upper East Side.

Are you more a Blair or a Serena? Either way, they make great costumes! You just need a plaid skirt, knee-high socks or tights, a white button-down, a tie and a headband of course. With this costume, you can take cute pictures sitting on steps like you’re at the Met or try to recreate a picture of them. Either way, you’ll be looking like you live on the Upper East Side.

Halloween is supposed to be fun, so don’t let your costume get in the way of that. There’s always something in your closet that can be made into one, so always look at what you have before buying something. You can also ask a friend if you can borrow a clothing item if you know they have it. Have a safe and fun Halloween and enjoy making your costumes!

Shannon Egan

Montclair '22

Shannon is a Senior at Montclair State University majoring in Fashion studies. When she’s not in class or doing her assignments she can be seen styling new outfits, watching Netflix, practicing makeup looks, or hanging out with friends. She will be focusing on writing about fashion and beauty and is excited to share her knowledge on it.
Lauren Clemente recent graduate from Montclair State University who studied Communication and Media Arts. She held the role of President and Co-Campus Correspondent, as well as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus Montclair. She loves all things to do with content creation, fashion + beauty and traveling the world.