Transform Your Makeup Look from Day to Night

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Let’s face it, collegiettes; we can sit all day by the mirror playing with makeup and coming up with creative looks. At least that’s what I do! Did you ever have that problem where you are wearing a casual makeup look throughout the day, and then, when it’s time to hit the town with your friends, you don’t feel like redoing your makeup to make it more of a glamorous, night look? Yep, happens to me all the time. Therefore, I created an easy way to transform your day look to a night look. Here are some of my tips and tricks for all of you makeup-obsessed collegiettes out there:

Day Look: You wake up in the morning and stretch out your limbs. It’s time for a day of classes or work – maybe even both. You want to look your best throughout the day but it’s also too early and you don’t have enough time to put so much effort into your makeup look. This is something simple for all of you ladies on the go!

Eyes – Since it’s the middle of the day, you don’t want to overpower your eyes with dark colors. My number one rule is to do your eyes before your face because you have excess from the shadows falling onto your face. If you do your face first then eyes you’d have to do your face again. After priming your eye lids, pat on a nude or neutral color such as pinks or peaches to your lids. Then, take a light taupe color – something rosey or a very light hint of brown – and run it into your crease. Use a blending brush, to blend it out a bit so it isn’t too harsh. Curl your lashes and dab on some mascara and you’re good to go!

Face – During the day, you’re in classes or at work. You want your face to breathe a little. I find that a tinted moisturizer works best as a foundation or base for your face. It’s light and airy, and you don’t feel like it’s clogging up your pores, which is a plus! As for blush, it’s a day look so you don’t want to be too loud. A really soft, light pink or peach color would be perfect. You want it to be light, so apply the blush gently to your cheekbones.

Lips – Simply put, a soft pink on your lips would complete the look. I would go with a lipstick rather than a gloss because gloss makes it look more shiny and you don’t want that for your day look. Remember to condition your lips prior to applying the lipstick so your mouth doesn’t look pastey or dry.

Night Look: Last minute plans to head out with the girls. You have no time to redo your makeup. That movie starts in an hour. Here’s what you can do!

Eyes – Finally, you can work with dark colors. We are gonna stay away from the lid. We’re are only working with the crease and brow bone. First, we are going to highlight the brow bone with a nude or white shimmery shadow. The taupe color you have in your crease sets up your eye for a much darker look. It’s great to have a taupe or even brown color in your crease when you want to apply a black shadow. The black shadow would definitely deepen the look. When applying this black shadow, be very careful. Black is a hard color to remove or even fix. Do not brush it on. Tap it on carefully. Then with a blending brush, blend it in with the taupe color and the shadow you put on your brow bone. Finally, you can put on eye liner on your waterline or your lid. You can do both or one of them would be perfectly fine – it’s your personal preference. Doing both would definitely make it more dramatic, so if you’re doing something casual at night, do one of them. If you’re going out to a club or lounge, feel free to be dramatic. When you’re done with your liner, reapply a mascara that makes your lashes long and full. Hello smokey eyes!

Face – For more coverage, you can use a heavier foundation that will pretty much cover up everything. Also, if you have dark circles or blemishes you want to hide, a concealer would do that job. Just a little bit under your eyes would work. I would put the concealer on before the foundation because sometimes the concealer could be lighter than your foundation. The foundation would blend everything in evenly. Now, we want to make our cheeks much more rosey. So a shade or two darker than what you used before would give your cheeks the night look. Again, don’t put it on too harshly!

Lips – It’s said that when you have a smokey eye look going on, you don’t want to go too crazy on your lips. Again, that’s personal preference. If you want to play it safe, use a nude, pinky lipstick and a lipliner to match just to give your lips some shape. If you want to be a little more dangerous, do RED! Go for it. Use a red lipliner and apply that red lipstick. You can also apply a gloss to make it more shiny, but remember most guys don’t like gloss… Just food for thought. And there you have it – your completed night look!

Hope this helps you achieve your day-to-night look! If you have any other questions, feel free to e-mail me at ExecutiveEditorHCM@gmail.com.

Photo Source: http://www.seventeen.com/beaut…

I'm an eternal optimist, aspiring PR girl, fashionsta and friend. I love my position at Her Campus Montclair. Being Editor-in-Chief has taught me how to manage time, be creative with content, and most of all, how to be an effective leader. I'm currently the social media manager at the New Yorker Hotel and Manhattan Center in NYC. When I was the social media director for HC Montclair, I learned just how incredible being connected with the world could be for any business. Social media has become a part of almost everyone's life. I adore it for all it can do and hope to one day own a social media consulting firm that can go into struggling businesses or start up businesses and help them out.