Style

Tory Burch’s Spring/Summer Collection 2019 Is Giving Us Major 60s Summer Vibes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Tory Burch’s Spring/Summer Collection 2019 at New York Fashion Week took us back in time to the summers in Europe during the 1960s. The collection showcased bohemian and European influences. Simon & Garfunkel’s “Mrs.Robinson” playing in the background set the mood for the show.

Burch was born in 1966, so a lot of her inspiration comes from the fashion that surrounded her as a young girl. The theme of this show and collection was wanderlust. The designer said on her Instagram (@toryburch), “my parents, Buddy and Reva Robinson, adventurers who traveled the world, are the inspiration behind the new #ToryBurchSS19 collection.”

Flashback to the Fall/Winter 2018 show where the runway was a garden filled with beautiful pink carnations (14,000 to be exact!) This venue was more simplistic than last season’s, but still showcased the beauty of nature. The set was outside of the Upper East Side’s Cooper Hewitt Museum in the garden. Beautiful green trees and shrubs with hints of yellow flowers lined the runway. It felt like a scene straight from a classic European movie! European influences can be seen throughout this fresh and bohemian collection.

All of the models were fresh-faced and showed off their natural hair. This collection gives off effortless vibes and will make anyone feel like they are on a relaxing European vacation. Loose beach separates are a huge trend for this collection.

Dresses, matching sets, sweaters, trench coats and high waisted pants are just some of the new pieces Tory Burch designed. Neutrals played a large role in this collection with a pop of color. A lot of the looks are white or cream colored with pops of oranges, greens, reds and yellows appearing somewhere to make the outfit stand out.

Funky and retro patterns were the highlight of this collection. One of the main patterns shown is green leaves with blue and grey birds and pops of red. Vertical stripes were another trend, appearing in a lot of matching sets. Tory Burch concluded the show by wearing a matching skirt and shirt set that has the funky bird pattern and cream and orange vertical stripes over the top and a chunky gold beaded necklace to complete her look.

The handbags in this collection range from classic totes and mini bags to satchels and saddlebags. The James Saddlebag resembles a camera bag with its wide and round shape and its two long straps. It’s the perfect bag to take with you while you are trotting around Europe next summer or just going to the grocery store. The shoes in this new collection range from cap-toed pumps to chunky heeled boots/booties, and espadrilles.

My two favorite outfits were a thick orange sweater with navy pants and a stunning sheer pink dress with floral embroidery and a ruffled skirt. I love how both of these looks contrast each other, but both scream effortless and boho. The sweater and pant combo are certainly more appropriate for everyday wear, especially for a chilly summer night. The dress gives off major boho-chic vibes. With the effortless yet very elegant vibe this collection gives off, you will want to drop everything and pack your bags to go explore Europe!

Check out the full collection here!

Tara Byrne

Montclair '21

Tara is 22 years old and a senior at Montclair State majoring in fashion studies with a minor in business. She loves keeping up with pop culture and catching up on her Youtube subscriptions. Tara mostly writes fashion, beauty, and lifestyle pieces for Her Campus. She is the current President and Co-Editor in Chief of Her Campus Montclair. In addition, she is a Co-Campus Coorespondent for Her Campus Montclair.
Emma Flusk

Montclair '19

Emma Flusk is recent graduate from Montclair State University, where she majored in Television and Digital Media. She was the Editor-in-Chief and a Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She’s passionate about anything that has to do with lifestyle, beauty and wellness for women. She is a self-proclaimed craft queen, semi-pro binge-watcher and a lover of all dogs.