Top Cities to Visit This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Oh…the summer! Probably the most anticipated season by us all. Where activities occur outdoors, cities come alive with festivals, boardwalk stores open selling your favorite homemade ice-cream flavor, and friends and family gather together for garden barbecues. If you are planning to go away for vacation, but are not sure where to go, we have put together a list of top affordable summer destinations which offer fun for every traveler. These cities highlight the best spots to be at the height of the season, ranging from the musical city of Nashville, to the U.S. capital city of Washington D.C, to cool seaside retreats of San Diego that refresh and rejuvenate your body.

U.S. Destinations

Boston: Boston is a city soaked in history. This aspect can be seen in nearly every street corner and brings meaning to most buildings and locations in that area. There, travels can visit the Freedom Trail, which is a 2.5 mile walk that passes through 16 significant historical sites, such as the Boston Common, USS Constitution and Old South Meeting House. After that, they can go shopping or dining at Quincy Market and Faneuil Hall Marketplace, which are steps away from the Boston Harbor and North End. At North End, tourists will encounter the city’s Little Italy, which offers many coffee shops, restaurants and bakeries. To get an extra glimpse of the city, tourists can go on Duck Tours. This tour is taken place on a World War II style amphibious vehicle which is part car and part boat. On land, it will show the State House, Bunker Hill and Newbury Street and on water, people will be able to see Boston and Cambridge from the Charles River.

New York City: Oh! New York, the city that never sleeps…New York is one of the cities in the world that offers the most attractions for its tourists. There, they can get a short boat trip which brings them from Manhattan to the Statue of Liberty. After visiting the Statue of Liberty, they can make a stop at, now home to the immigration museum, Ellis Island. In the city, travelers can enjoy some attractions at Times Square, such as Broadway shows, cinemas, restaurant, etc. They can also visit many museums ranging from the MoMA to the Metropolitan Museum of Art to the Museum of Natural History. For all of you fashionistas, Fifth Avenue is the shopping paradise with numerous luxury stores. It is also the place where famous landmarks like St. Patrick’s Cathedral and the Trump Tower are located.

Washington D.C.: There is so much to do in Washington D.C that it’s impossible to see all in just one visit. A well rounded trip should include tours to the three houses of government, where you can explore the U.S Capitol Building, the White House and the U.S Supreme Court. There you will gain a fuller understanding of the division of power within the government. Keep in mind that these tours must be scheduled with a Congressional Representative. Also, you can’t miss the monuments and memorials, where generals, politicians who helped shape our nation are honored. Some of these monuments are the Lincoln Memorial, Jefferson Memorial, Vietnam Veterans Memorial, etc. Tourists can also watch a concert or show at the Kennedy Center or at the Wolftrap Farm Park.

Nashville: Nashville, the center of the music industry, is getting attention from many people all over the world. Located amidst horse farms, picturesque views, rolling hills, it makes travel fun during any season. During the summertime, there are several things to do. With the sun shining in the clear blue skies, travelers can pack their bags and visit many parks and fairs. The Nashville Zoo at Grassmere is always a fun place to visit as well as the Bicentennial Capitol Mall State Park, where people can enjoy a jog or bike ride or just enjoy a picnic or attend a concert at their amphitheater. For a break from the hot sun, tourists can visit the Country Music Hall of Fame and learn about the roots of country music.

Orlando: Best known for Walt Disney World and Universal Studios, Orlando has much more to offer than Mickey Mouse ears and roller coasters. Travelers can explore the city’s nightlife by visiting Disney’s Boardwalk, known for its nightclubs and entertainment hot spots, and enjoy the many street musicians, performers for free. They can also walk the streets of the picture perfect town of Celebration and enjoy the shops and boutiques at Downtown Disney Marketplace.

After a couple of days in Orlando, travelers can head south to the glorious city of Miami.

Miami: Miami offers the best of both worlds. With gorgeous beaches, historical and cultural sites, shopping and museums, it attracts its tourists and offers them a unique experience. Travelers can visit the Vizcaya Museum and Garden located in the heart of Miami where they can learn about the horticultural and industrial innovations of the city (free of charge and where Ace Ventura was filmed!). They can also enjoy the South Beach Scene, which is an area known for its famous restaurants, clubs and art deco architecture. The balmy summer nights allow travelers to go on a comfortable walk in shorts and a light top, and listen to the adjacent sounds of the ocean. If travelers are looking for a more relaxing night, they can attend the Cinema Al Fresco, an outdoor cinema located in Miami Beach, Coconut Grove and other desired locations, where first-run movies are shown on giant 60-foot screens with Dolby Digital Surround Sound.

San Francisco: Whenever people think about San Francisco, the first thing that pops on their minds are either an orange-colored bridge, or steep hilly roads. This city has so many attractions ranging from zoos, to museums such as the Exploratorium, and to the famous Pier 39. Pier 39 offers its guests and residents amazing views, including a sea of sea lions and the bay, entertainment and shopping. Another famous site in San Francisco is the Alcatraz, which was the first lighthouse in the Western United States but became a federal penitentiary from 1934-1963, housing famous convicts. This now infamous prison island is part of Golden Gate National Recreation Area.

San Diego: Having fun in San Diego doesn’t require a lot of money. In fact, most of the activities to do there are free. San Diego is known for its beautiful 70 miles beaches, near perfect weather year-round. The beaches are free to the public to swim, surf. There, tourists can visit the La Jolla Cove and see the magnificent sunset on the ocean and one of the most gorgeous natural settings in the world. After spending some fun at the beach, you can visit the Seaport Village, where you can go on a shopping spree. Another must see place in San Diego is the San Diego Zoo in balboa Park. It houses over 3,700 animals of more than 650 species and subspecies.

Photo Sources: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9