Life > Experiences

Thinking of Transferring Colleges? Here’s Why I’m Glad I Did.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

People transfer colleges all the time for different reasons – they didn’t feel like it was a good fit, they weren’t learning, they didn’t like the location. And if you know anyone who has transferred colleges, they will tell you the same thing I will. It is terrifying

When people ask me why I transferred colleges, my go-to answer is usually a simple, “I was bored.” There was nothing wrong with the college I was at other than quite a toxic social environment, but it was nothing I couldn’t handle as a strong-minded individual. Nothing was really wrong, other than the fact that something deep within me felt unfulfilled.

If you’re thinking about transferring colleges, I’m here to tell you why I’m glad I did. Maybe you are, like I was, happy at your current school but not as happy as you think you could be somewhere else. Maybe you are completely miserable, but you’re scared to make the change because change is scary. 

Here is the best advice I can give: 

1. Just because you’re scared doesn’t mean you can’t do it.

As someone with anxiety, this is something I always like to say to myself. Am I scared of a lot of things? Yes. But does that stop me from actually doing those things? Absolutely not. I understand your anxiety may hinder you from making big moves, but I promise it’s nothing you can’t handle.

1. Your heart never lies.

Something I always like to tell my friends is that your intuition is your most powerful tool. If you feel deep down you want to do something, you need to listen to that instinct. 

1. Transferring doesn’t mean you made a mistake.

When I tell people I transferred, a lot of people have the misconception that I regret choosing the school I originally did. The truth is, if I could go back in time, I wouldn’t change a single thing. I loved my freshman, sophomore and junior year, and I wouldn’t trade those experiences for the world. Just because you’re saying goodbye to something doesn’t mean you don’t appreciate what it gave you. Which leads me to my last point… 

1. No reason to stay is a good reason to go. 

Like I said before, you don’t always have to wait for something to be wrong for you to make a change. Change is healthy because it helps us grow as individuals. So if you feel there is no more room for you to grow where you are, maybe it’s time to make a change.

In making this decision, I hope you listen to your own heart. While your friends and family – and this article –  may try to help you, only you know what your heart wants. Listen to what it’s telling you.

As the best advice-giver, Taylor Swift, once said, “You know in your soul when it’s time to go.”

Emma Barber

Montclair '23

Emma is a senior at Montclair State University, studying Social Media & Public Relations and Gender, Sexuality and Women's Studies.