Style > Beauty

The Importance of Inclusivity in the Beauty World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

During the pandemic, I really started getting into makeup. I had the time, so I decided why not learn how to finally use eyeliner and contour. One issue that I noticed I was having was that some of the eyeshadow shades I would use wouldn’t appear on my skin as I had hoped they would. 

This is an issue in the beauty industry that fortunately, more and more companies are trying to solve. I didn’t realize at the time that this meant some of the products I had simply weren’t pigmented enough. However, my skin is not that dark, and the product still wasn’t appearing as it should on my skin. What did this mean for other beauty lovers with darker skin? I’ve seen on TikTok several Black and brown beauty influencers test out products, and one of the criterias they have is how pigmented certain products are. This criteria matters to them, and they know that it matters to their audience because they are looking for products that will work with their skin tone. 

There is a reason why products like Rare Beauty’s Soft-Pinch Blush (which is so pigmented that it only requires a dot or two) and companies like Fenty Beauty are incredibly popular. Products and companies like these evidently have inclusivity in mind when creating products. They ensure that they can offer consumers a wide shade range when it comes to products like foundation and high pigment when it comes to products like blush. 

It’s important for the beauty industry to keep progressing when it comes to inclusivity. My friend gave me an eyeshadow palette as a gift once, and she made sure to check that all the shades were pigmented before buying it. She shouldn’t have had to have worried about that. It’s important that the products cosmetic companies make are made with everyone in mind. 

Makeup is fun and can allow people to get creative. I’m so glad that I was able to get into makeup because now it’s one of my favorite things to do. But that doesn’t mean I don’t think the cosmetics industry can do better. We are seeing progress, and I think it’d be great to continue seeing that progress. Everyone should be able to use makeup and have fun with it.

Selena is a senior majoring in Communication & Media Studies. She loves books, watching TV shows, makeup, social media, and writing.