The HP Poet Corner: Poem Three from Derealizacja 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

This is my third poem from the series “Derealizacja.” As you know, my last poem had a heavy subject behind it, as with the first one. However, this poem is still dark but more abstract. I centered this poem around mushrooms, decomposers that break down decaying material.

I decided to take on this topic because I wanted to challenge myself to write about something other than my internal feelings and thoughts about my life. So I had a peer recommend a subject to me, and they chose mushrooms due to their fascination with them at the time. So when I first started to write about mushrooms, I took the research approach to understand better the topic and process of mushroom decomposing. I then took keywords and ideas from my research and wrote the poem. Which I hope you enjoy. 

Little Eaters 

I lay bare to your

sweet psychedelic intoxication. 

You creep up and glide

Your venomous tongue

Along my withering flesh for life.

You hush prayers, 

Or curses of smiting 

Into my bleeding ears. 

Summoning me to perish,

To the afterlife with my 

Decomposing lover. 

Or a zombie forever 

Haunting the night. 

As for now you gnaw at my 

skin which leaves maggots 

Sucking at my marrow. 

But you do not burrow;

Instead you, plague my corpse

To cover me soggy

black and blued,

Ridden with beauty

to muscles and tissues. 

Nonetheless here I lie, 

Captive at your will. 

My skin, 

Dinner for your death caps. 

Goodbye to the flesh,

For now I recycle it

Back to my creator.

Earth.

Holley is currently a senior at Montclair State University; she majors in English and minors in Business. Her wish is to pursue a career in music marketing. Holley thinks writing is a way to heal oneself and inspire others. Besides writing, she likes catching up on social media and reading graphic novels.