This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

I am fully aware hot girl summer is approaching at a rapid rate. We don’t have to worry. Hot girls have relationships too!

If you’re in college and starting to enter the wonderful world of love but don’t know where to start, I’ve got you covered.

I did, however, grow up in a small town where everyone went to a Walmart two towns away just to experience something other than woods and farmlands. Just take my word for it, I know how to have fun on a budget.

1. Dinner At a Diner

If I know anything about human beings, it’s that no one can resist the vibes of a good diner. They have a great selection of food as well as a comfortable atmosphere for people going out on a first date.

My favorite is the Park West Diner on Route 46, just outside of Montclair State University. It has a fun 50’s aesthetic and decor that makes you feel like you’re in the movie “Grease.”

1. Exploring Montclair, NJ

Ever since attending Montclair State University, I have been captivated by our little city of Montclair. It has a lot of cute restaurants and boutiques that are worth taking a look around. Even if you don’t go inside them, it’s a nice little adventure to take your date on.

If you’re a girl from New Jersey, don’t fret, we do have Playa Bowls here.

1. Seeing a Show at The Wellmont Theater

A little bit more expensive but worth the price. The Wellmont Theater in Montclair is such a fun and nice place to bring a date! It’s not too big or overwhelming, and it surely is the perfect place to just go and have a good time!

1. Order Takeout and Show Each Other Your Favorite Shows

For all my homebodies out there, this is the date for you. Order your favorite food and spend a night in and show your date your favorite form of entertainment! My personal favorite show to display who I am as a person is “It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia,” and if they don’t see it as a red flag, I know I have a good chance at securing the bag.

1. Do an Escape Room

More adventurous and clever people may find more joy in participating in something like this! It’s a fun and unique way to get to know someone and work together with them to solve a fun puzzle! It may also show you if your date is utterly clueless or an intellectual. Escape rooms are a great way to get that out of the way in the beginning.

Hopefully, you’ve been inspired to do something new or something common but comfortable with someone you’ve been crushing on. In the end, any date idea is perfect as long as you have the perfect person to spend it with!

Avery Nixon

Montclair '25

A television and film major, with a minor in creative writing, and aspiring screenwriting who is taking her first step as a writer for multiple organizations at Montclair State University.