This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Every year, Thanksgiving reminds me to be grateful for what I have. One of the most important people in my life is my mom, and I don’t say thank you nearly enough for everything she’s done for me.

Here are a few of the many lessons I’ve learned from my mom over the years. Her gentle words of wisdom have helped guide me through life.

Don’t say “no” to yourself.

If you truly want to achieve something, you must step out of your comfort zone. My mom always reminds me to stop doubting my abilities and assuming that the outcome will be negative. The only way to reach your goals is to try.

Sometimes, not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck.

Inspired by the Dalai Lama, my mom repeats this quote when it feels like something hasn’t worked out. She kindly reminds me that sometimes things happen for a reason. Looking on the bright side will help you find which direction you should go to next. Sometimes it’s even better than what you missed out on.

Choose empathy instead of anger.

I can remember a few moments from my childhood vividly, but this memory comes to mind as one of the most influential. When I was younger, I struggled to accept that people would choose to be dismissive, flippant or disrespectful. She taught me to consider life from their perspective and imagine why they might be acting that way. Sometimes mean people are struggling themselves, and they’re outwardly expressing their pain. When you try to understand someone, it’s harder to hold onto negativity. I would much rather choose to be kind.

Work first, rest later.

My mom is one of the most prepared people I know – which is probably why her purse is so heavy. She makes sure that she has a plan for everything, and she never waits until the last minute. Somehow, she manages to juggle a full-time job, two kids, cooking, cleaning and our pets. Throughout the years I’ve struggled with coursework, and there have been so many late nights spent working on projects due the next day. I learned the hard way, but getting things done early is so much less stressful.

When all else fails, drink more coffee.

My mom and I often have our most important talks over a shared cup of coffee. If you’re stressed, taking a moment to recharge can be the best course of action.

I can’t imagine what my life would be like without my mom. She is my biggest fan, my advocate, my rock and my inspiration for the woman I hope to be one day. Thank you, mom!

Alexa Spear

Montclair '20

Alexa Spear graduated from Montclair State University with a BA in Communication and Media Arts and minors in English and Photography. On the rare occasion when she's not writing, you can find her watching Netflix or lost in the aisles of TJMaxx. Looking for a writer/editor? Shoot her an email at alexarspear@gmail.com
Lauren Clemente recent graduate from Montclair State University who studied Communication and Media Arts. She held the role of President and Co-Campus Correspondent, as well as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus Montclair. She loves all things to do with content creation, fashion + beauty and traveling the world.