etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Taylor Swift Just Released Her New Album & We Couldn’t Be More Excited

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Taylor Swift released her seventh studio album, Lover, on August 23rd. The album comes just about two years later after reputation, an album that was the farthest thing we’ve seen from “classic Taylor.” reputation was a complete 180 for Taylor, focusing most of her songs on not caring about what people think about her and having mysterious romances. I was able to attend the reputation stadium tour last summer and it’s safe to say it was one of the best concerts I’ve ever been to. As a huge swiftie, I was PUMPED to give this new album a listen.

Lover gave us a taste of “old Taylor” mixed with some of her new sounds. Whether you’re a swiftie or not, this album has something for everyone. Here are a few of my favorite songs:

Cruel Summer

This is the perfect song to scream at the top of your lungs while driving with your best friends. I can definitely see this song becoming one of the biggest hits of the album.

Soon You’ll Get Better

One of the most touching songs on this album is “soon you’ll get better” which features the Dixie Chicks. The song enters us into a raw and terrifying time in Swift’s life when she found out her mom’s cancer relapse. Swift has sung about her childhood and mother on many songs during her career. “The Best Day” off of her Fearless album talks about Taylor and her mom Andrea’s caring relationship as mother and daughter and as best friends. This song is one of the most serious tracks off the album, reminding us all of what’s really important in life.

Lover

Lover is a beautiful ballot to play when you’re with your S.O or just while walking to class. This song really showcases Taylor’s AMAZING vocals.

Paper Rings

This song radiates Taylor’s happiness. It’s upbeat and will definitely make you smile. It talks about how at first, she barely knew her S.O. and now she can’t imagine her life without them. “I like shiny things, but I’d marry you with paper rings.” Taylor has met someone she sees a future with and we couldn’t be happier for her!

Here’s my takeaway: This album is very nostalgic of “old Taylor”, but is much more mature. Taylor feels a lot wiser and more content on this album. reputation focused on Taylor during a very hard time during her career, where her reputation completely changed and she was involved in a lot of drama. Lover shows that Taylor has moved on a lot since reputation and is a lot more content in her life and her relationships. Go Taylor, go Taylor!

Tara Byrne

Montclair '21

Tara is 22 years old and a senior at Montclair State majoring in fashion studies with a minor in business. She loves keeping up with pop culture and catching up on her Youtube subscriptions. Tara mostly writes fashion, beauty, and lifestyle pieces for Her Campus. She is the current President and Co-Editor in Chief of Her Campus Montclair. In addition, she is a Co-Campus Coorespondent for Her Campus Montclair.
Lauren Clemente recent graduate from Montclair State University who studied Communication and Media Arts. She held the role of President and Co-Campus Correspondent, as well as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus Montclair. She loves all things to do with content creation, fashion + beauty and traveling the world.