This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

COVID has changed life in unexpected ways over the last 6 months, including an upcoming online semester for students who may have hoped to return to campus. You feel the excitement of your first or last year, the return to a sport, or even just the chance of being surrounded by friends when you come to realize you may not be returning this fall. But- you don’t have to dread an online semester. Here’s what to do next:

Mindset is everything. Just because you’re home where you’re most comfortable, you can’t lose sight of your goals, short or long term. This semester counts like any other and your effort has to be there. 

To make work manageable, practice time management. I recommend using a planner. For those balancing a school, work, and extracurricular schedule; having it all laid out prevents you from stretching yourself too thin. Making daily to-do lists is another super helpful tool. Use your planner to divvy up assignments and plan when you’ll be working on them ahead of time to avoid work piling up.

Keep an eye on your progress too. I find it really motivating to see where I stand in each class at the end of the week grade-wise. It’s a direct reflection of the work I have put in and I either get a moment to pat myself on the back or remind myself that I’ll have to refocus and try harder this week.

The most helpful tip of all is to create a routine. As tempting as it is to stay under your warm covers during your Zoom lecture, I suggest otherwise. Little things like getting up early, washing your face, and having a well-balanced breakfast goes a surprisingly long way. You should also dedicate a quiet area to yourself where you’ll sit down with little to no distractions. I find I pay more attention to my lectures when I have my camera on, it keeps me engaged and I can’t sneak away to scroll through TikTok. 

Implementing these tips into your semester should keep the stress minimal. But always remember, as important as school is, take care of yourself first.

Kianna Sawicki

Montclair '21

Psychology Major/ Communications Minor. .
Lauren Clemente recent graduate from Montclair State University who studied Communication and Media Arts. She held the role of President and Co-Campus Correspondent, as well as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus Montclair. She loves all things to do with content creation, fashion + beauty and traveling the world.