Style

Spring/Summer Essentials You Must Have in Your Closet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

With the warmer weather starting to sneak in… it’s time for new fashion staples to sneak into your style as well. Let’s talk about 2021 spring and summer fashion trends and how to incorporate them into your everyday wardrobe. 

Trend Alert Number One: Floral Print! 

Everywhere I’ve been shopping. Whether it be online or in-store. Floral is all over the place. Am I guilty of already purchasing five different style floral tops? Absolutely! A floral blouse or tank top with a cute pair of denim shorts, sandals and a straw handbag. This easy outfit can be a staple for any day in the spring or summer. Quite affordable too, I purchased this shirt just a few days ago off Forever 21. For $17.99 I was sold in an instant! You can find floral pattern dresses as well for a dressier occasion. 

Trend Alert Number Two: The Oversized Look.

This trend isn’t necessarily new, but it will be continuing into the spring and summer. Oversized t-shirts, denim jackets or boyfriend jeans and jean shorts. Big and baggy is no longer considered underdressed, well depending on the location. I’m constantly rocking a pair of basic black biker shorts and a graphic oversized t-shirt on every nice day so far this spring. It’s quick and simple, I look like I’m giving the outfit some effort and I get to be comfortable. What a win-win-win situation. I get a lot of my oversized styles on Adika

Trend Alert Number Three: The BareBack.

Again, I’m a victim of purchasing a few tops like this. I absolutely love this style, especially heading into the spring and summer. On a nice hot day, I could totally use an open-back shirt! I’ve seen it incorporated into some dresses, but I think it’s much more flattering for tops. Pretty Little Thing has a section dedicated to backless tops, Nothing better than an online store that filters to exactly what you are looking for! The bareback is certainly a trend I recommend giving a try. 

Trend Alert Number Four: Pastels!

At first, I wasn’t the biggest fan of this because I have quite fair skin. Most pastels don’t look the best on that skin tone because they can wash the person out, like me. In the winter I tried to steer clear of any I saw, but heading into spring and summer this is a trend I can get behind. Being in the sun, with a nice tan, these can be way more flattering. I also love pastel colors in general so I’ll have my eye out for fun ways to incorporate them into my wardrobe. Check out SHE IN’s pastel collection for some ideas of how to add it to your style!

Trend Alert Number Five: Eye-Popping Accessories!

This might be my favorite trend out of them all! I’ve always been a firm believer that an accessory can completely change an outfit. This trend proves that to be correct. The bright color handbags, the beautiful print headscarves and the chunky necklaces. I’m here for all of it. The simplest outfit can look killer if you accessorize it properly. One of my top spots to shop accessories is ASOS. They offer a wide variety of options at an affordable price. Head there for any staple accessories for this spring and summer. 

With vaccination numbers rising by the day, it looks like we’ll be able to get back to a somewhat normal summer. So get your closets ready and take a risk on some of these new style trends!

Kayla Francione is a senior at Montclair State University. She is majoring in Television and Digital Media with a concentration in Sports Media and Journalism. She is hoping to land a job as a sports broadcaster for a professional team, league, or network. Beyond her passion for sports, she has a bunch of other hobbies. She really enjoys fitness, living a healthy lifestyle, fashion, traveling and spending time with friends and family.
Tara Byrne

Montclair '21

Tara is 22 years old and a senior at Montclair State majoring in fashion studies with a minor in business. She loves keeping up with pop culture and catching up on her Youtube subscriptions. Tara mostly writes fashion, beauty, and lifestyle pieces for Her Campus. She is the current President and Co-Editor in Chief of Her Campus Montclair. In addition, she is a Co-Campus Coorespondent for Her Campus Montclair.