This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

It’s officially here, that’s right spring! Spring has finally sprung and now’s the time to show the world what you got for the year 2021. 2020 was a horrible year for fashion. Even though we had the enjoyment of relaxation in our leisurewear, now’s the time to break away from the sweat pants, cozy socks and sweatshirts. Let’s open our closets for a new year and new you!

We’re entering a bold and bright new year. As stated by Pantone’s executive director, Leatrice Eiseman “we need to feel encouraged and uplifted, this is essential to the human spirit,” as she finished discussing the 2021 colors of the year [Ultimate Grey and Illuminating] with The Sandiego Union-Tribune.

Eiseman’s right, we’re now experiencing some positive changes such as COVID-19 vaccines. So why not change up our style to match our attitude?

This year’s major trends are bold prints, which will also include screen printed garments. Lately, I’ve been seeing a lot of screen printed garments with singers, rappers and famous paintings. Sometimes I’ve seen some bold prints like bright flowers, animal prints or even bold colors. 

Our color choices for 2021 have definitely shifted from all neutrals to bold colors that could brighten up your day. We’re looking at my personal favorite, Bubblegum Pink, and of course our colors of the year Ultimate Grey and Illuminating. Now even though we moved away from neutrals Pantone has made the decision of using the color Ultimate Grey to symbolize strength and stability, although some may beg to differ. Emma Tucker, an English journalist, agrees that Ultimate Grey is a hit and miss for the year 2021.

“And, after everything that’s happened in this greyest year of all, it’s hard not to wish that Pantone had really gone to town on just one truly invigorating shade. Does Ultimate Grey feel a bit like we’re admitting defeat? Maybe Illuminating needed to stand on its own for 2021,” Tucker said.

Style is everything when it comes to fashion. These major garments are what we can expect to see this spring. 

Dresses and skirts. It’s time to show those legs! More specifically maxi dresses and wrapped skirts. A maxi dress is an ankle-length, flowing dress that is great to wear during the springtime. It’s my personal favorite because it can be semi-formal or informal depending on what accessories you add to it. Another quick and easy garment is the wrapped/wrap-around skirt, this is another comfortable and flowing look for the spring.

Next up, skin is in! I’m talking about sheer ladies. For a night out on the town, a formal engagement or rocking out at a party, the sheer look will definitely have all eyes on you in this breathable, lightweight fabric. A sheer top will definitely rock [another one of my favs] with relaxed trousers. Relaxed trousers can come in many forms, and are exactly what they are called, relaxed. No need to worry about a belt, being itchy or the garment being too tight. They are perfectly flowing and breathable for any engagement. 

Finally, the two accessories that we’ll see this spring are handbags and headscarves. If you’re like me and you have to carry everything, then the handbag is perfect for you. My life is in my handbag, she’s like my best friend. A handbag goes with any and everything to complete your ensemble. Finally, a headscarf, if you enjoy cheesy romantic [movie-themed] car rides then you’re a fan of the headscarf, also I believe it’s perfect for a bedhead kind of day. I hope you can all try and grab these amazing styles and create your own look this spring. I know I will!

Tatiana Ricks

Montclair '21

My name is Tatiana Ricks I was born and raised in Philadelphia. I enjoy learning from others and researching the latest trends, I admire self-love, books, and healing myself spiritually.
Bella is a Senior at Montclair State University studying Communications and Media Arts with a minor in Business. She is currently the Senior Editor as well as contributing writer for Her Campus Montclair and is very excited to take on the role of Vice President and Co-Editor in Chief for the spring '21 semester.