This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

SPRING BREAK: Something that high school and college students always look forward to! I’ll be giving you ideas on where to travel for your break and some tips on what to pack!

First things first! Here are some destination ideas that can be under $200 for Spring Break!

Ranking at number one is New Orleans! What’s more fun than visiting the French Corner where you can find the iconic architecture and look out to the Mississippi River? Not to mention the amazing food and entertainment. You can also visit the WWII Museum as well go to Jackson Square where you’re able to see St. Louis Cathedral. 

Flights price range from $89-$189 depending on your departure date.

You can get a decent Airbnb for three people between $80-$110 a night

(Tourist Attractions Guide, AirBNB New Orleans). 

Coming in second is Panama City Beach in Florida. If you LOVE the beach, this is a winner for you! Panama City Beach is located on the northern western coast of Florida. It’s pointing toward the luscious blue water of the Gulf of Mexico. You can spend your spring break laying out on the beach, playing volleyball or boogie boarding! However, for the month of March there is no drinking on the beach. So you might have to explore and find somewhere to grab a drink.

Flights price range between $107-$250. 

Hotels near the shore range from $98-$214 a night

(Panama Beach City Hotels).

Are you looking for a fun road trip? Well in third place we have the Outer Banks (not the Netflix show) in North Carolina. The Outer Banks are well known for their beaches and beach houses. The houses can hold up more than 15 people so if you are looking to do a group spring break I highly recommend this option! In the area are food spots, mini golf and great fishing spots. And of course you can lay in the sun all day! Beware though, some days it can drop to the 60s. 

Beach house rentals range from $68-$250 per night depending on how many beds are needed. In total that’s about $1200-$2200 for a week. If you are dividing 2200 by 15 that comes out to about $146 per person for the week. For some, that’s not terrible for a week of fun! 

(Outer Banks Beach Houses)

Okay, okay, enough money talk. Now on to the fun part, what to pack! 

Here is my suitcase checklist:

*Highly recommend: know how to army roll your clothes! It saves a lot of space in your suitcase!* 

• Underwear: five to six pairs 
  • Socks: four to five pairs (depending if you are going to a beach for the week, then pack two to three pairs)
  • Shirts: three to four crop tops, two tee shirts and one tank top (you can always bring a long sleeve as well)
  • Pants: two to three pairs of shorts, one pair of leggings, one pair of sweats (you never know)
  • Top Layers: I always have a sweatshirt or a hoodie with me at all times

Toilet trees (only the necessities): 

• Toothbrush
  • Toothpaste 
  • Floss
  • Eyeglasses/Contacts (solution and case as well)
  • Lotion (Suntan lotion if you are going to the beach)
  • Feminine Products 
  • Makeup
  • Perfume

Don’t forget your electronics either! Make sure you have your charger, earbuds and portable charger all together in one place. If you’re catching a flight, have your ticket, passport and electronic stuff in your carry on!

I hope this helped you decide where you are going to go for spring break! Make sure to use this checklist when you pack! Have FUN!!

Hi my name is Kyra VandenHeuvel and I am an aspiring fashion design and merchandising student at Montclair State University. I will be graduating in the year of 2024! In my free time I like to draw, paint and watch anime. I cannot wait to share my thoughts and observations of the world of fashion and design with you!