This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Throughout life, one builds up walls around themselves as a security blanket. This security blanket holds the standards of themselves and acceptance by others. However, what happens when you decide to take a sledgehammer to the walls and break free to see your dreams. 

Hi, my name is Holley, and I thought I knew what I wanted to be when I entered college- I planned to become an elementary school teacher since I was in the ninth grade. I believed that this was the right career path for me as it would provide me with stability and make me happy. I am now a sophomore in college and shifting my focus and career goals in quite a different direction. I am writing this article to tell you that I have realized that your life can change within minutes and even make you more exhilarated about striving toward a bigger goal. When we first went into COVID-19lockdown, I wanted to change career paths, but I washolding back because I thought I had to do something safe and secure as I have a serious medical condition that has and continues to dictate the choices I had/have to make in life. Unlike a safe teaching job, I have a love and desire for music and am taking a leap of faith and now re-focusing my energies towards my dream job is to work in the music industry.  I know that people say that this industry is cut-throat and hard to breakthrough, but despite this, I am going to work hard and achieve my goals in this industry. 

While I was quarantining during COVID,I had the time to learn more about myself and what I wanted to do. I decided to smash the logical walls that I had built up, my parents’ advice, criticism about my dreams, and the standards I had about myself. I finally listened to my heart and changed my entire Spring 2021 schedule. I then applied and got accepted into the Feliciano School of Business to earn a minor in business. Lastly, I connected with many individuals in the music industry thru LinkedIn.

So, I finally decided to chase my dreams and take a chance to work in the music industry after several years of wanting to do this deep down in my heart, and COVID-19 forcing me to contemplate everything about myself. When I first did all this, I was thrilled but also horrified at the same time. I realized I threw out a straight forward career and replaced it with a dream that I thought I would never achieve. Then I reminded myself, I am young, and even though I am pursuing my dream, I took a rational approach and am currently studying to become a marketer. I also knew I would have to hustle for internships, which I am now doing, and I have made several great connections on LinkedIn these past few months. The key to all of this is you have to actively chase and have the drive and hustle to get things done. Without that, don’t even bother trying. Also, make sure you love what you’re chasing before you go and change your schedule upside down. 

I hope my story inspired you to look at the road you are on, take a step back and listen to your heartto see if you are going in the right direction. I did, and I am so much happier in life and am excited for the chase in breaking through a harsh industry and succeeding. You may be nervous like me right now, but that comes with chasing your dreams, and it’s a good feeling. It means you care about this, and it could be the right decision for you. I wish you good luck in smashing your walls and pursuing your goals and dreams.

Holley is currently a senior at Montclair State University; she majors in English and minors in Business. Her wish is to pursue a career in music marketing. Holley thinks writing is a way to heal oneself and inspire others. Besides writing, she likes catching up on social media and reading graphic novels.
Bella is a Senior at Montclair State University studying Communications and Media Arts with a minor in Business. She is currently the Senior Editor as well as contributing writer for Her Campus Montclair and is very excited to take on the role of Vice President and Co-Editor in Chief for the spring '21 semester.