This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Bettering yourself isn’t something done overnight. These changes need to be made in small amounts. It needs to be a lifestyle change, not a “just today” change. I’ve done some soul searching lately, and I’ve made some small changes in order to be the best version of myself.  

Dress Freely

One too many times I’ve dressed for the event and not for myself. I’ve put on shoes too tight or too high just for the “look”. I’ve spent too many nights wondering what I looked like rather than how I felt. This isn’t something you do overnight. Start with your shoes! Wear flats instead of heels. You’ll feel 100% better at the end of the night. I promise! 

Drink Lots of Water

Other than using the bathroom very often, drinking a ton of water has so many benefits. Your skin will feel great, it’ll clear up if it needs to and your body will detox itself. I started drinking half a gallon of water every day and it made such a difference in my life. I keep track of it using a bottle I bought off Amazon. There’s a ton of options and colors to choose from! Drinking so much water makes me feel so much stronger! I stopped drinking other drinks during dinner, I only chose water. I still have evening tea and morning coffee, but having water so often has truly bettered my life. I highly suggest it. Add lemon to your water if you want something extra!

Take A Moment & Look Around 

We tend to speed through our days way too fast. Whether we’re working, studying, exercising, hanging out with friends, watching tv or even sleeping; we speed through our days like they’re endless. The truth is, they’re not. Our days are not endless. We speed through our days so fast that we forget to actually enjoy these days. We’ll never be this young again, so the small change I made was to stop randomly throughout my day and just look around. Doesn’t matter what I’m doing, I’ll just stop (as long as I’m somewhere safe, of course) and I’ll observe my surroundings. You learn to appreciate the beauty of the world and the people around you. Sometimes you forget how precious this life is and you take it for granted. This was something I struggled with. I was always so busy with my life that I forgot to truly look around at what I had. This was a small change I made but it affected my life so deeply.

Maria Hofmann

Montclair '22

Just a Journalism major with a passion to write. She loves listening to music and attending concerts as often as she can. She loves to drink coffee on the regular as she spends some quality time gossiping with her best friends, one being her mom! She's super outgoing and loves to meet new people so she can share stories about her life with others.
Tara Byrne

Montclair '21

Tara is 22 years old and a senior at Montclair State majoring in fashion studies with a minor in business. She loves keeping up with pop culture and catching up on her Youtube subscriptions. Tara mostly writes fashion, beauty, and lifestyle pieces for Her Campus. She is the current President and Co-Editor in Chief of Her Campus Montclair. In addition, she is a Co-Campus Coorespondent for Her Campus Montclair.