Style

Self-Portrait’s 2020 S/S: Texture Is the Best Accessory

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

New York Fashion Week is finally here and better than ever! I’m starting the weekend off with coverage on Self-Portrait’s 2020 Spring/Summer Collection that debuted today.

Self-Portrait partnered with bumble and bumble to create runway-ready hairstyles for the show. Both collaborated to create a slicked back, low braided look, which made the makeup stand out more with their choice of a bold lip. Accessories were often shown as golden-framed geometric sunglasses, gold chained mini bags, snakeskin block heeled booties or lo-hi floppy sun hats.

All outfits followed the tried-and-true neutral black/nude look, along with yellow and blue pastel sets that represent spring and summer. One thing is for sure – this collection played with having a lot of textures in each design and this made Self-Portrait stand out. Here are a few of my favorites from the collection: 

One standout was a fuchsia dress worn by model Grace Bol (@gracebol), that was paired with a matching bold fuchsia lip. This monochromatic look stood out more because of the texture throughout the dress, from the frilled sleeves to the stitching at the bottom of the dress to make it more belled yet flowy. The square neckline and stitched waistline accentuated the fit of the dress. This outfit was topped off with a pair of pointed white booties with a snakeskin block heel.

This short, blue pastel dress is one of my favorites because it’s an outfit I can see myself wearing. This kind of dress would be a great daytime outfit for the spring or summertime, especially with the light blue patent lace-up booties. Again, Self-Portrait’s decision to use texture as an accessory is clearly shown for this design. For the bodice, ruffles were carefully placed for a ruffled neckline, to show a button-up detail. The dress was completed with a mix of a scalloped hemming and mesh designs. 

Self-Portrait was able to display his variety of ready-to-wear outfits and staple pieces in the prestigious Woolworth Building in NYC. The skyscraper’s mosaic-covered walls made this location the perfect setting for the Spring/Summer show, as the lights reflected off the golden walls to create a warm ambiance just like the warm sun.

Harmeen is a student at Montclair State University, New Jersey and is majoring in Business Administration with a Concentration in Marketing. Of course, besides being a Marketing student, she's interested in fashion and lifestyle, and motivated to write unique pieces for her interests.
Lauren Clemente recent graduate from Montclair State University who studied Communication and Media Arts. She held the role of President and Co-Campus Correspondent, as well as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus Montclair. She loves all things to do with content creation, fashion + beauty and traveling the world.