Self Love is the Best Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Some of us post ourselves on #mcm or #wcw in appreciation to how much we love ourselves. How many of us actually believe this? I mean how many of us say we don’t need others to validate our importance but deep down we crave the attention? 

My Self-Love Journey

I would like to live a life full of helping others because that is my why! I can’t help others if I cannot help myself. If I am not comfortable in my skin I can’t successfully be of assistance to anyone else. I’ve had to overcome a lot of insecurities and challenges in my 19 years but for as long as I can remember I’ve been holding myself back. I decided to start a Self-Love Journey for the year of 2017. This journey consists of me finding myself emotionally and mentally. My first step was cutting my hair. This was something I wanted to do but I was focused on what others thought. My second step was to eliminate what does not make me happy whether it was family or friends. 

The Impact

Since January 2017 I have been sharing my Self-Love Journey on my YouTube Channel (Teegabrielle). I receive feedback every day from peers and strangers that are inspired by my journey. To many, I was outspoken and confident so when they saw me go on such a journey it inspired them to reflect on themselves because there is always room for improvement. Honestly, cutting my hair and cutting individuals off was harder than I thought. When I did it my self-esteem dropped lower than it was before but now a few months later I am more comfortable in my skin than I have been in awhile. 

Often when you no longer are the person people are comfortable with you being they become unhappy with your changes. Before my journey, I was doing what made others happy but the minute that changed it made many people uncomfortable. With this, here’s what I realized, if your best interest is not in their interest they are not for you.                                    

Sources: 1, 2

I am a Jurisprudence, Law, and Society major at Montclair State University with a minor in Leadership through civic engagement. I am also a Self Love enthusiast on Youtube ( Teegabrielle ). I am a Team Leader for Jumpstart at MSU where I work towards bridging the literature skills gap in the preschool classrooms of public schools. ByTeegabrielle@gmail.com https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLjtZPh5AtFmM2Ldf_h9z8g
Danielle has held various positions at Her Campus Montclair. Starting as a Contributing Writer during her sophomore year at MSU in 2015, she later became President & Editor-in-Chief during her senior year in 2017. She completed her B.A. in Communication & Media Arts with a minor in Leadership Development at Montclair State University in January 2018. Besides writing, she's a lover of cozy cafés, good lyrics, inspiring speeches, mountainous retreats, and sunsets on the skyline. She enjoys capturing the moment and has a passion for travel and discovery. You can often find her exploring NYC or venturing to one of her favorite East Coast spots.