Wellness

Self-Care 101 in College: How To Self-Care While Living in a Dorm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Self-care is a huge priority for me. I prioritize taking care of myself even on a bad day, especially on a bad day. As college students, it can be so easy to overwork ourselves and get burnt out. It is important to actively take care of ourselves physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. It can be a bit harder as well when you’re living in a dorm. For me, I like taking baths, baking, and lighting a candle when I’m stressed. All things you most likely can’t do in a dorm. I reached out to some Montclair State University ladies and asked them for advice on how they self-care while living in the dorms.

“My name is Chrissy Merges and I’m a junior majoring in Hospitality Management. For self-care, while being on campus every night after I finish my homework I take a shower and do my skincare routine and every other night I do a face mask. I think this is so important because if I’m stressed with my school load this relaxes me and makes me feel good about my appearance. I also try to watch a movie with my roommate/best friend at least three times a week to have fun while still being productive!” – Chrissy Merges, junior, Hospitality Management major

“Self-care on campus starts with you feeling comfortable in your dorm! Make your dorm cozy with mood lighting, blankets, pictures, and anything else that makes you happy. I personally have a bunch of different lights in my dorm because the normal dorm lighting isn’t enough and often makes it feel too dark and dull. I also keep my bed stocked with multiple blankets so I can cozy up at a moment’s notice when I need a break. I also keep a photo wall in my room, as well as a bulletin board to remind myself of all the amazing people I surround myself with, and small quotes to keep me grounded” – Megan Rafferty, English Ed major, senior

“Typically what I do as self-care is something along the lines of practicing my hygiene. When I get stuck in a low I usually take a long, productive shower and work on skincare after. I feel like it helps me hit the reset button and it motivates me to give myself another chance to start again!” – Camyron Chauffe, Production and Design BFA with a focus in Scenic Design, Junior. 

“I practice self-care by not only eating healthy and staying active, but I  also have a set relaxation time. I’ll put on a movie or show and enjoy it with a face mask, and do my nails or eat a snack. I also lean on my sorority sisters of Delta Xi Delta, if I need extra support. Self-care is super important because when you take care of yourself everything else falls into place. “- Brianna Kaminskas, Sophomore, Television Production

“Well, I’m a philosophy major with a business minor. When living on campus the best way to detox is taking a walk around campus to get fresh air. Fresh air really does clear the mind. After a walk, I feel level headed and ready to take on life.” – Mar Spirito, Philosophy major, Business minor.

“I always make sure to set some time aside to go on walks during the afternoon. I find them stress-relieving as I walk throughout the scenic campus of MSU.” – Anonymous, Psychology, CO’2022

Thank you to all the girls that gave us some great tips! Hopefully, you got inspired and learned some new ways to self-care in college.

Anna Alvarez is an Undergrad at Montclair State University, majoring in Family and Human Sciences. She loves curling up with a good book, traveling to new places, and watching gilmore girls aspiring to be her own version of Lorelai Gilmore.
Tara Byrne

Montclair '21

Tara is 22 years old and a senior at Montclair State majoring in fashion studies with a minor in business. She loves keeping up with pop culture and catching up on her Youtube subscriptions. Tara mostly writes fashion, beauty, and lifestyle pieces for Her Campus. She is the current President and Co-Editor in Chief of Her Campus Montclair. In addition, she is a Co-Campus Coorespondent for Her Campus Montclair.