Saying Goodbye to Montclair State

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

As I try to reflect on my past four years at Montclair State University and what this place has given me, my mind goes straight to the people. 

But before anything, I would want to give my freshman-year self the biggest hug. She went through a lot of heartache, confusion and stress, but also had the time of her life living with her best friends and making connections with the most amazing people she met along the way. She had no idea she would join a sorority, declare a minor, accomplish Dean’s List every semester, study abroad, become the president of Her Campus Montclair, Chief Copy Editor of The Montclarion and grow into someone her younger self would be so proud of. 

I wish I could say I wouldn’t change anything, but I would. The only thing I would change is appreciating the little moments more and being grateful for the growing pains I had to endure to become the person I am today. Perhaps, I was too caught up in how I was feeling at the moment to realize it was for something so much greater in the end. 

However, I wouldn’t have been able to go through everything without all of my friends whom I now consider platonic soulmates. Every one of them helped me in different ways whether it was binge-watching “The Walking Dead,” staying up with me until six a.m. on FaceTime while I sobbed about my breakup, our little get-togethers in the library that turned out to be one of the funniest memories I’ll ever have, the countless hours of editing in Morehead being the only two people left in the computer lab as we complained about everything and anything or singing to the top of our lungs in the apartment. I’m grateful for it all, especially the simple moments of us sitting in silence on our phones enjoying each other’s company. I could always be myself around them knowing they wouldn’t judge me. It’s the comfort and peace they all brought me. This isn’t a goodbye to them, just a thank you. 

Another person that added to my college experience in the best way was someone who came into my life unexpectedly. This person is a different kind of soulmate. The one that most people are familiar with. From attending the same college to having classes in the same building but never meeting until a random Tuesday afternoon in April 2022, he shortly became my bestest friend showing me the purest, healthiest kind of love. I’ve never had a friend like him before. He’s helped me see the good in people and made school feel more like home. Going to class became more exciting and fun simply because we’d walk to campus together. I’ll always cherish the mornings before class we shared. He introduced me to new hobbies like watching sports which eventually led me to enrolling in a sports class; something I never thought I’d do. But thanks to him, I learned more about myself and of course, now know how to play poker. One of the greatest things Montclair State could’ve given me was him. 

Most importantly, I couldn’t have gotten this far without my family. They were there for me every step of the way from college visits to (in the very near future) watching me walk across the graduation stage. They believed in me when I had doubts and lost courage in myself. No matter how much I complained about something, they listened to every rant and cry whether they wanted to or not. No matter how stressed I was, they were always willing to help me in any way they could. I’m forever blessed I’ll always have them in my corner. 

All of these people helped me spark a light in the tunnel of darkness that seemed never-ending, and fix a heart they never broke. So even though I’m not saying goodbye to any of these people, I’m just saying goodbye to the college atmosphere and all the memories we can no longer create here after May 23, 2023. This has truly been the best four years. 

I’ll close this off with a basic, overused quote summarizing how I truly feel about graduating: “How lucky am I to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.”

Kim Lamparello

Montclair '23

Kim Lamparello is a senior at Montclair State University, majoring in Journalism and minoring in Criminal Justice. She is the President of the Her Campus Montclair chapter!