etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Say Goodbye to Toxic Relationships and Hello to a Happier You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

In your lifetime, it is inevitable that you will come across some amazing human beings. At the same time, it’s inevitable that you will also come across some people that just bring you down. And sometimes, these people just seem to stick around or even manage to become more present in your life than you’d like.

I can’t stress enough how important it is to surround yourself with positive people who make you happy.

I know I spent a lot of my early and high school life around people who I thought were good for me, but really weren’t looking out for my best interests. I thought that I was obliged to keep up with these different friendships because I had known everyone for so long. Time changes people and, in reality, we were all just growing up and moving towards our own (different) paths. And it wasn’t until my Junior year of high school that I really started to realize that you can’t feel truly fulfilled unless you’re surrounded by people who are there for you as much as you’re there for them.

We all want to have that picture perfect squad or significant other in our lives, but not if they’re not making a positive impact on our lives. Think about it. Are you okay with the way these toxic people treat others? Are they there for you when you need them? Are these people really right for you? The people you surround yourself with are a reflection of who you are and you deserve to be with good people who make you happy.

Open up opportunities for yourself by being with people who lift you up and motivate you to strive to do more and be more. Make room for people who matter. It’s your life, so shape it the way you want to. We all have people in our lives that truly love us; sometimes we just have to take a step back to remember that. At the end of the day, what’s most important is that you are happy with yourself and the life you’re living, so why not fill your days with lots of laughter and love and make memories with the people that remind you how great life is.

Source: 1 2 3

Allie Manalili is a freshman at Montclair State University. In the pursuit of spreading her love of all things art, Allie is majoring in Visual Arts with a concentration in School and Community settings. When she's not on campus, you can almost always find her arms full with a stack of books at the local bookstore, scouting out a new brunch place, or even adventuring to new heights on a hike. Along with being a Contributing Writer for Her Campus Montclair, she is also an Admissions Ambassador, and is excited to see where the next four years take her.
Sarah Vazquez is a senior at Montclair State University, majoring in English and minoring in Journalism. She is the current Editor-in-Chief and a Co-Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She is an avid concert-goer, podcast junkie, X-Files fanatic and someone who always has her nose buried deep inside a book.