This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

The plaid flannel is undoubtedly a fall fashion staple – I even wrote an article on it! But, what about slaying the plaid game without the flannel? Not to say that plaid flannels will ever go out of style, but if you’re eager to shake it up this fall season, this is your guide to everything plaid, but without the flannel!

Plaid Coat

We absolutely love plaid coats! They make everyone look so sophisticated and you can still look fashionable even if it’s freezing outside. Fashion & function? Yes, please!

Plaid Pants / Trousers

These babies are so trendy and fun to wear. Like flannels, they come in a wide array of patterns, colors and different fits like wide leg, straight, slim, etc. 

Plaid Mini Skirts

Get your Cher on with this other adorable fall staple (especially if it’s yellow!). They can easily be tailored for cooler weather when paired with a sweater and stockings, or some knee-high socks!

Plaid Midi / Maxi Skirts

These skirts are another stylish way to rock the plaid look for fall and are especially helpful for cooler weather thanks to their length. We love a fit that can keep us warm without looking like a marshmallow!

Plaid Dresses

Wearing plaid as a dress is both sexy and chic! They can be beautifully layered with t-shirts and cardigans or simply worn by themselves.

Plethora of Plaid Accessories

Last, but certainly not least, there are tons of plaid accessories that you can incorporate into your fall looks. My personal favs are plaid scrunchies and crew socks! But, you can choose from plaid headbands, bucket hats, scarves, bows and plenty more. These will definitely add a little fall flair to your wardrobe!

Kayla is a senior at Montclair State University, majoring in Communication and Media Arts. She is a beauty and fashion fanatic with hopes of working in the Beauty Industry after college. She has a knack for fine arts, enjoys writing, and is a dedicated yogi.
Lauren Clemente recent graduate from Montclair State University who studied Communication and Media Arts. She held the role of President and Co-Campus Correspondent, as well as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus Montclair. She loves all things to do with content creation, fashion + beauty and traveling the world.