Real Talk: Stop Trusting & Start Transcending

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

This is your sign to get all of your sh** together. Whether it’s school, relationships, career, I mean everything. First, let’s be real and just sit here, pity ourselves about all of our issues and cry about insecurities… are you done yet? Good. Beyoncé said it best with her one day rule. It’s time to let go of everything and organize your emotional health, your passions, your top priorities and so forth. Think about the things that still get you out of bed. It’s time to stop trusting the world that all your dreams will come true by themselves and fall in your lap. You need to level up and take that first baby step to responsibility! Enough wallowing and putting yourself down; it’s time to transcend.

Rechanneling Your Energy

We all have our off days, let’s face it. Life happens and we break down sometimes but that doesn’t mean we have to throw everything out the window and stop moving. It’s completely healthy to stay in bed and be upset or lazy for a day or two. But when you’re holding on to this constant “stuck in a rut” feeling, that’s not healthy. Get up and keep going! It’s really important to stay in a positive mindset even if you don’t necessarily feel that way yet.

Before you get out of bed and force a smile on your face, write. Write about all the bad things, and then all the good things. Let out your feelings to yourself, especially if you don’t have anyone to talk to or simply don’t want to share feelings with anyone. Put out all of your energy on paper. Write about what’s making you angry, sad, or sluggish and unmotivated. Then, rechannel your energy. Turn your negatives into positives; what are you happy about?

Note things you’re grateful for or happy about, whether it’ something as specific as that paper you finally finished last week or something simple like having a roof over your head.

Learning About Your Priorities

Take this time to be selfish; write about yourself and what’s meaningful to you. The best way to classify and establish the most vital parts of your life is by creating lists, yes, lists. Doing this has helped me clear my mind and focus on the key aspects of my own life. Prioritize what is most important to you and break it down from there. Here’s my current list (in no particular order)

My own well-being

a. Eating at least two full meals a day

b. Taking time for myself (self-care; skin-care, outfit planning, getting my nails done, literally shaving 90% of hair off my body, etc.)

c. Ignoring everyone for some one-on-one time with my pup

My relationships

a. Making time to spend with close family and friends

b. Knowing the level of friendships, I have with friends and acquaintances and maintaining them healthily

c. Always steering clear of any negativity, whether it comes from an outside source or within my circle

My Education

a. Keeping my Google Calendar up to date with assignments (this has helped me so much with school and events!) 

b. Prepping for next semester’s classes and the road to graduation

c. Scheduling homework time and due dates around other life events

My Career

a. Maintaining active on all of my Instagram accounts

b. Keeping a positive attitude at work and reflecting my work ethic

c. Growing fun and positive relationships with my managers/mentors

Her Campus

a. Brainstorming on new article ideas/Instagram story ideas

b. Editing my assigned articles

c. Contributing to events and bonding with my girl gang

While you’re making your own list, think about the people that pop into your head; those are your core people. These types of numbered lists can be easily done for people in your life, too. Who’s actually contributing good into your life and bringing in a positive light? Ask yourself if you need a bigger or smaller circle.

Speaking it Into Existence

Stop with the self-deprecating jokes. Yeah, literally everyone does it, but try to cut it out of your daily lingo. “I look so ugly” “I hate myself” “I’m so dumb”, etc… the list goes on and on. Instead, keep it to yourself, don’t say those things out loud. Turn your complaints into positive affirmations if it’s in your head or out loud. Laugh about your mistakes and move on; you’re human! The only way you can build up your confidence is by accepting your insecurities and being completely unapologetic; stop saying sorry and start sticking by your positive words and actions instead.

Next, think about your wishes and dreams. Again, whether it’s something tiny or something huge, write about it, say it out loud or tell a close one. Don’t put yourself down and say things are impossible or too hard to accomplish. Just waking up with a positive mindset can change your outlook on an entire day! Literally, speak your goals into existence.

Work Towards Your Goal

Whatever your dreams are; your ultimate dream job, house, trip, relationship, anything, take steps towards receiving it. There’s a one in a million chance that things will fall into your lap. The only way you can get any closer to your goals is by striving towards it, not sitting on your insecurities and fears of things not working out. Change starts with you, stop trusting everything around you and start transcending. And never forget:

Always live life like it’s rigged in your favor.

Giselle Huasipoma is a Communication & Media Arts student with a strong passion for writing, fashion and digital media. Whether she's posting on her own personal blog or editing articles for Her Campus Montclair, Giselle's is set on her ultimate career goal; working at an agency pitching all of her creative ideas!
Lauren Clemente recent graduate from Montclair State University who studied Communication and Media Arts. She held the role of President and Co-Campus Correspondent, as well as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus Montclair. She loves all things to do with content creation, fashion + beauty and traveling the world.