The Pros and Cons of Taking a Summer Class

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Taking a summer class has its ups and downs. Can’t decide if you think a summer class would be the right choice for you? Here are some pros and cons to help you determine if you should take a class this summer.

Let’s start with the pros:

Summer classes can help you catch up or get ahead: One of the main reasons that people take summer classes is to either catch up on credits to graduate on time or to get ahead and earn enough credits to possibly graduate early.

Summer sessions are typically shorter than a full semester: Anyone who wants to get a brutally hard (or easy to the point where it’s a waste of time and money) type of class out of the way should consider taking a summer class because they typically don’t go for as long as usual classes. Depending on where you go to school, some can be as short as only three weeks.

It’ll keep you busy this summer: While doing homework isn’t fun, actively learning and interacting with people is a much more productive way to spend your time than sitting around and watching TV. 

You’ll have more time to focus on that class specifically: We all know how stressful it is to have tests, homework assignments, essays and projects for five different courses due in the same week. Taking a summer class will allow you to focus on the work for that class without mountains of other assignments from other classes to do as well.

It may be less expensive than classes during the fall or spring semesters: Depending on where you go to school, summer classes may be significantly more affordable than they would be during the fall or spring semesters. 

Now let’s take a look at the cons:

Summer classes move very quickly: If you’re a slower learner or feel uncomfortable in a fast-paced environment, summer classes may not be for you. The professors have less time to cover the material, so they usually go through it faster than they do during a full-length fall or spring semester.

You’ll probably get a lot of homework: Another downside of covering a lot of material in a short amount of time is that you’ll most likely get more homework for that class than you would during the fall or spring semesters.

You may have to get up early: People who love to stay up late on summer nights and sleep in on summer mornings will probably not like having to get up early for morning classes.

You’ll be less likely to make friends: Since summer sessions usually don’t run as long, students are typically less likely to want to spend time or effort getting to know each other, especially when they’re distracted by the warm weather.

Class isn’t the most fun way to spend a summer day: Summer is our break from school, so some students may not think it’s worth it to spend that break doing more classwork and homework instead of spending time outdoors with their friends and family.

Be sure to consider these pros and cons if you can’t decide whether a summer class would be the right fit for you. When in doubt, follow your instincts and think about which choice would be best for your lifestyle and personality.

Zoe Nolz

Montclair '21

Zoe is a student at Montclair State University. She is the current Fashion and Beauty Editor for Her Campus Montclair. When she is not in class or doing work, you can catch her hanging with friends, shopping, writing, watching movies, drinking smoothies, just chilling or off on an adventure!
Tara Byrne

Montclair '21

Tara is 22 years old and a senior at Montclair State majoring in fashion studies with a minor in business. She loves keeping up with pop culture and catching up on her Youtube subscriptions. Tara mostly writes fashion, beauty, and lifestyle pieces for Her Campus. She is the current President and Co-Editor in Chief of Her Campus Montclair. In addition, she is a Co-Campus Coorespondent for Her Campus Montclair.