The Pros and Cons of Living the Single and Double Lives

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.
Dorming in a single or dorming in a double (or a triple, or a quad., or anything involving having roomates in general!) can be either the best or worst part of your experience as a campus resident in your college or university. Personally, I’ve lived in both a single and a double; luckily, I was blessed with positive experiences during both times, though that isn’t to say that my experiences as a resident have always been perfect. That being said, Collegiates, here are some of the considerable pros and cons of living the single and double lives during your campus residency!  

Ah, the single life. Sounds fun, doesn’t it? It sure does – and it is! That’s because – much like the relationship status titled “single” – when dorming in a single, your main concern is – well – YOU! And who doesn’t love their quality “me-time”? I know I do! Of course some of your concerns might include your suitemate next door (whom you should be mindful of!) but at the end of the day, you’re in your room – not anyone else’s. Maybe you share a room with a sibling at home who has completely different tastes than you. In a single, you can populate your room with decorations as you so wish and even if you aren’t much for decor, who cares? The room is yours. Sure, singles are typically way smaller than other rooms, but how much space do you really need? After all, it’s just you. So don’t worry about waking someone up if you’re an early-bird or if your sleeping habits follow a more nocturnal pattern. Need to watch that show that you just can’t miss, want watch the movie that never fails to make you laugh or are you in the mood to play your new favorite artist loudly (Scandal; Couple’s Retreat; and Sam Smith, anyone?) Be respectful of your residence hall’s “quiet hours”, otherwise, go for it! On the contrary, if you’re not a fan of such noise or if you want to study in peace and quiet without having to go to the library, just close your door. Can’t sleep with the lights on or with the closet door open? You don’t have to. It’s as simple as that. Basically, if you your live life more comfortably knowing that at the end of the day you can go back to a space that’s only yours (unless you want to share it with someone, which – on occasion – you might) then the single life is definitely for you. 

That being said, though, living the single life can get lonely, especially if you don’t know how to be alone. If you’re more of a person who actually prefers being in the company of others as opposed to spending time and especially nights alone – you might consider living in a double (or a triple, or a quad. – etc.). The double life is much like being in a relationship with a significant other: the other person’s main concerns are your concerns and vice versa. Why? Because you’re not just sharing a common space, like a bathroom or a sink. Instead, you’re sharing a room. But having a roommate isn’t as bad as some people make it seem. You might even become best friends. I dormed with the same person during both my freshman and sophomore years and though I’m now dorming in a single as a junior and she’s commuting, she and I have remained close and meet up on campus all the time. Sometimes we even have sleepovers, just for old time’s sake (or just because she either missed her train home or has an early class the next morning!). It is possible that you and your roomate(s) will create a bond like no other because you lived with each other and tolerated one another’s preferences, to say the least. If you’re a more easy-going person who doesn’t have a problem with sometimes compromising, then living a double life is definitely for you, especially if you prefer someone else’s company rather than your own.

Collegiates, don’t forget that – like everything else in life – the good must be taken with the bad and your experiences during your time as a resident (whether they are good or not!) will only become what you make of them!
Imani is a full-time junior student attending Montclair State University where she majors in Business Administration with a concentration in Marketing. She is happy to be the Assistant Editor-in-Chief of the Her Campus Montclair chapter!
Jennifer is a Feature Writer for Her Campus Montclair and a junior at Montclair State University. Jennifer is majoring in nutrition with a concentration in dietetics with a biology minor. She absolutely loves to write and dance and enjoys expressing her creativity through writing and dancing! She recently began practicing yoga and she loves it very much. Jennifer hopes to become a Registered Dietitian and one day write for a health & fitness magazine. Health is very important to Jennifer and she wants to share her love of health and fitness with the world!