This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Have you ever wondered how fashion trends come about? As a fashion student at Montclair State University, I can tell you from my studies that fashion is repetitive and is always recycling itself. Trends tend to disappear for decades but then suddenly come back in style. So from this little synopsis, I’m going to predict that Y2K is coming back as well as the late 90s streetwear style.

Recently, people have taken on either really bright and colorful pieces, which in my opinion, are inspired by the Y2K era, or the dark blacks and browns. The low waist pants are now back in style along with the scandalous thong strap over your hips. Crop tops are still trendy but they are getting a reboot with more graphics and different color combinations. BUCKET HATS! Oh my gosh, all the bucket hats! Also, the use of pastel/colorful hair barrettes, saddle bag purses and tennis skirts! I’m not sure if the Y2K makeup look will follow with the Y2K fashion trend since right now we are in the “natural look” era. Y2K makeup will usually have bright eyeshadows, glitter and heavy eyeliner. 

On the other hand, we have a totally different trend: 90s streetwear. During the coronavirus (COVID-19), I saw this type of style spike since no one was able to leave their house, however, Nike shoes, such as Jordans, became a prized item. I think this happened because no one had a source of income so people just started to resell their Jordans. Also, celebrities started to invest their money into the sneaker industry as well, Nike Jordan 1s and Dunk Lows became popular quickly. People started to pair their shoes with oversized boot cut pants, cargo pants, oversized graphic t-shirts and plain t-shirts. Accessories include baseball caps, varsity jackets, big sunglasses and chains. The color palette for 90s streetwear is usually a black base, so black cargos or shirt, then layering with colors. Personally I like streetwear style more than Y2K because you’re able to dress comfy but also stylish. I am also obsessed with Nike. 

So what do you think? Do you think I am right? Are you going to take on these styles to be trendy or are you going to keep your current style? I personally cannot wait to see what is on the come-up for the spring and summer seasons, even if my predictions aren’t completely spot on!

Hi my name is Kyra VandenHeuvel and I am an aspiring fashion design and merchandising student at Montclair State University. I will be graduating in the year of 2024! In my free time I like to draw, paint and watch anime. I cannot wait to share my thoughts and observations of the world of fashion and design with you!