This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

♪ They say this is a big rich town. I just come from the poorest part. Bright lights, city life I gotta make it, This is where it goes down. I just happen to come up hard, legal or illegal, baby I gotta make it. ♪” 

Now unless you’ve been living under a rock you should know what we’re about to discuss; Power Book II: Ghost. Sex, Power, Money, and Drugs are all components that form the chess not checkers layout of the groundbreaking phenomenal show. Although highly unlikely if you aren’t familiar with the Starz breakout hit or just haven’t gotten around to binging its latest episodes, by the time you are finished reading I urge you to hop in your favorite Pajamas and get to streaming alongside it’s 7.5 million multiplatform viewers.

Power Book II: Ghost is a renewal of the overwhelming cliffhanger of events Power ended on. This season we see the guy that everybody loves to hate Michael Rainey Jr. as Tariq St.Patrick becomes a lot more likable as he struggles with the pressure of merging two completely different worlds to reconcile with each other. With his beloved father, Omari Hardwick as James “Ghost” St. Patrick dead and his determined mother Naturi Naughton as Tasha facing charges for the murder her son committed. We get a chance to see Tariq plan and execute an elaborate scheme to hustle money for a lawyer so his incarcerated mother can be set free.

Not only does the predicament that Michael Rainey Jr. is in presents a compelling twist that shifts the dynamic of the show but he is now the lead star of this season. This is a big deal for the young adult demographic. This presents the opportunity to see a new world of power being represented in an age-inclusive manner. With one foot in the University and one foot in the streets, this promotes targeting a diversified audience of young adults.

All the more reason why you should join me and the rest of the world in streaming this season is that this season presents us with a variety of reputable new faces who all have established careers in the entertainment industry.

Legendary Mary J. Blige as Monet Tejada, a mother and a queen pin surviving in a male-dominated world she’s as ruthless as her male counterparts and a power seeker that demands nothing but order and respect on her terms. In Addition to Woody McClain as her son Cane Tejada best known for his lead star role in The Bobby Brown Story” a hothead enforcer with a temper and personally my favorite character this season. 

Another cast member to look forward to seeing is renowned rapper Cliff “Method Man” Smith as high-powered ethically challenged attorney Davis MacLean. As well as Sherri Saum as Paula Matarazzo, the top investigator and right-hand man of Davis MacLean best known for her role in “Locke & Key” as Ellie Whedon. These are only some of the many reputable faces to look forward to seeing this season.

Will Tariq’s determination to free his mother set the opportunity for him to be the youngest, cleverest drug dealer in New York City?. His abilities may lead him to build a reputation after his father’s legacy and I’m so looking forward to seeing how the season unfolds. With Tariq attending a prestigious University and taking on the responsibility of being the man of the family, he has to be as precise and careful as possible. All in all, it’s safe to say we are about to endeavor in a whirlwind of emotions as we await the second half of the season airing only on starz.

Venus Blackford

Montclair '21

Venus Blackford, a graduate of Montclair State University ('21), holds a major in Psychology and a minor in Public and Professional Writing. Her true passion lies in using the power of writing to foster dialogue & promote inclusivity. As a valued contributing writer for Her Campus Montclair, she contributes to one of the most esteemed chapters of the premier online magazine for college women. With her sights set on a successful career in communications, Venus aspires to be part of a dynamic team that creates significant impact on a larger scale.
Lauren Clemente recent graduate from Montclair State University who studied Communication and Media Arts. She held the role of President and Co-Campus Correspondent, as well as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus Montclair. She loves all things to do with content creation, fashion + beauty and traveling the world.