This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Spring is finally here and I couldn’t be more excited! The weather is getting warmer so we can finally do more outdoor activities, which is helpful as we’re still in a pandemic and face restrictions on places we can go (or at least feel comfortable going). Taking a break from online classes and getting some fresh air is a great thing to remember to do every once in a while. You can schedule a day trip in your week or just a quick visit to a park to get outside, and here are some places you can visit!

Grounds for Sculpture

Grounds for Sculpture is both an indoor and outdoor art museum and sculpture park in Hamilton Township, New Jersey. It’s filled with beautiful scenery, amazing sculptures, and interesting exhibitions to check out. They are open 5 days a week, closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Right now, you can book your visit ahead of time by purchasing your ticket and picking your entry time to help keep crowds low. Grounds for Sculpture is such a great place for art lovers to visit on a nice spring day!

Cattus Island County Park

New Jersey is full of beautiful parks and in Toms River, you can find Cattus Island County Park. Located right on the bay, you can walk by the water or ride your bike along the paths. It’s also a great place to bird-watch and learn about the natural surroundings. They have a butterfly garden that I can’t wait to visit when the butterflies are more active. Cattus Island is one of my favorite places to visit for a walk.

Double Trouble State Park

Not too far from Cattus Island is Double Trouble State Park in Berkeley Township. Similar to Cattus Island in that it’s a great place to walk around, it also has a lot of history behind it. It was originally a cranberry bog and packing plant in the early 1900s, and you can find the restored versions of the original buildings of the general store, schoolhouse and houses that were once occupied there. Double Trouble has a nature trail that stretches a mile and a half, and along the way, you’ll be able to see some beautiful scenery and wildlife. 

Van Vleck House and Gardens

For somewhere super close to campus, Van Vleck House and Gardens is an awesome spot to check out this spring! It has a gorgeous botanical garden display and butterfly garden that was so amazing to see. It’s open to the public daily and is a great place to walk around, take pictures, or read a book on your break! This is definitely the first place on my list of places to visit this spring.

Cape May

All the way at the very bottom of New Jersey is Cape May. While it can get to be a big place for tourists, visiting in the spring before the summer crowd comes is a good idea. Plus, there’s so much to do there that there’s something for everyone. You could visit the Cape May Zoo, see the lighthouse, visit historical sites, or check out the shops and restaurants in the center of town. Also, being so close to the ocean makes Cape May a great place to visit.

It’s important to remember to get outside when you can, especially now that many classes, jobs and internships are online. Even if it’s just a quick walk around your local park, it’s good for your physical and mental health to get some fresh air and take time away from your computer. Happy spring and enjoy the warm weather!

Hailey Rooney is a Communications and Media Arts senior at Montclair State University. For Her Campus Montclair, Hailey is excited to write about topics she is passionate about, such as entertainment, mental health, women’s rights, environmental activism, and traveling. In her free time, she loves photography, embroidery, watching movies, and attending concerts of her favorite bands.
Tara Byrne

Montclair '21

Tara is 22 years old and a senior at Montclair State majoring in fashion studies with a minor in business. She loves keeping up with pop culture and catching up on her Youtube subscriptions. Tara mostly writes fashion, beauty, and lifestyle pieces for Her Campus. She is the current President and Co-Editor in Chief of Her Campus Montclair. In addition, she is a Co-Campus Coorespondent for Her Campus Montclair.