This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

When it comes to special events I always think about what type of pictures are going to be taken. This is no different when it comes to birthdays. If you want to have some cute birthday pictures, here are some tips for you.

1. The classic number balloons

If you have an account on any social media platform then you know what these pictures are. No matter what the birthday is, girls will have balloons that say the age they’re turning, and the pictures are always super cute. Along with these balloons, you can also have regular ones in the background that go with the color scheme to add a little more fun. This go-to picture is one that will never disappoint.

2. Champagne Explosion

This is another popular picture, but not as much for birthdays. I think this would be a very cute picture for your 21st birthday but of course could work for anyone after that as well. These types of pictures always catch the joy of the moment and are very fun. The number of balloons could also be included if you wanted to do both ideas and the champagne could be exploded in front of them. These pictures could turn out to be very festive and exciting.

3. Birthday Candles

Similar to the balloons, you can take a picture with candles that say your age on them. This could be with you holding them or them being on a cake. Birthdays are one of the only things candles are used for, so why not use them for a birthday picture. This would also allow you to show off your delicious cake if you did choose to take the picture that way, and who doesn’t like a good cake?

4. Throw Confetti

It’s hard to not have fun when confetti is involved, so a birthday is a perfect excuse to use it. This could be used for different poses such as throwing it up in the air and blowing it towards the camera, and having friends involved would make it even better! Having an exciting background with balloons or other decorations would also add to the picture.

5. Light Sparklers

I know sparklers are more known for other occasions, but they could make for very cute birthday pictures. I haven’t seen people really do this before so it would be different and very fun. Unfortunately, this will probably only work if you have a birthday during the warmer months since it is an outdoor activity, but if that pertains to you it would be a fun idea to do! For safety reasons, I would not have many decorations around for this picture, but with a picture like this, I don’t think they’re needed.

When looking back at your past birthdays, you’re going to be looking at the pictures you took that day. Make sure the pictures you take capture your happiness in the moment and the fun you are having. These pictures, and the memories that come with them, are something that will always be fun to look back on and will bring a smile to your face.

Shannon Egan

Montclair '22

Shannon is a Senior at Montclair State University majoring in Fashion studies. When she’s not in class or doing her assignments she can be seen styling new outfits, watching Netflix, practicing makeup looks, or hanging out with friends. She will be focusing on writing about fashion and beauty and is excited to share her knowledge on it.
Tara Byrne

Montclair '21

Tara is 22 years old and a senior at Montclair State majoring in fashion studies with a minor in business. She loves keeping up with pop culture and catching up on her Youtube subscriptions. Tara mostly writes fashion, beauty, and lifestyle pieces for Her Campus. She is the current President and Co-Editor in Chief of Her Campus Montclair. In addition, she is a Co-Campus Coorespondent for Her Campus Montclair.