Wellness

The Pandemic Has Made Our Dreams More Vivid Than Ever

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Our sleep patterns have changed entirely since the start of the pandemic as our physical and mental healths were forced to change overnight due to a global pandemic. Everything, from our morning commutes to the multiple tasks we could have finished in one workday, now take much longer to finish. Many people have discovered and struggled with insomnia during the past year, meanwhile, a great part of the world has shared how vivid their dreams have become no matter the amount of sleep they now get.

Our New Dreams

Most of us are used to going to sleep soundlessly, yet dreaming didn’t always take place. From personal experience, I used to dream rarely before the pandemic. Then, during the first few months of COVID-19, I started dreaming almost every day. Once our anxiety settled about the daily COVID-19 statistics and after a tiring remote workday, our dreams continued to be consistent with our concerns and emulate our lives. Our dreams, especially for women, have been affected more as we’re considered the main caregivers and given plenty of hardships. 

These dreams can make us more aware of what is bothering us about this pandemic. There’s even a recent study done by Michael Schredl that reported “Women and people with more education also reported stronger effects of the pandemic on their dreams.” The same dreams have made many more aware of any mental health problems that have been emphasized during the pandemic.

So Is Anyone Else Experiencing Vivid Dreams?

The New Yorker has recently published a news article and a YouTube video documenting how people, not just women, are experiencing these vivid dreams and most of them have recounted experiences, places and people. For example, in the video they posted, the first person recounts their dream with the first being in a concert venue, which transforms into a crowded GAP store. They realize they’re the only ones not wearing a mask and they said “it was that feeling of like, I am naked in public”. 

The following quotes are also from people who recorded their pandemic dreams to be vivid:

• “Fires and demons everywhere.”

• “I was in this big hotel which had rented out dozens of rooms for some big party….And then suddenly I realized there are hundreds of people in these rooms and there’s a global pandemic….We’re all going to die.”

• “In the car was one of my childhood best friend’s grandmother who actually passed away several years ago.”

The quotes above are only a glimpse into the experiences people have had in the past year. Their dreams have resembled their everyday struggles, such as living in a different social and working environment, inhabiting new or no routines and the ultimate scare for their well-being as COVID-19 has made the majority of the population scared for how easily the virus can spread. In these dreams, people are always overwhelmed with the number of people we can fit into public spaces, how we used to go to bars, ride public transit and even go to concert venues where more than 1,000 people could be in one room together. These dreamers are also extremely reminiscent and envy their pre-pandemic livelihoods. They remember their loved ones, the physical touch they used to give or receive from them and even the quality time they use to take for granted. All of these experiences have been emphasized and envied due to these vivid dreams.

Once Upon a Time”… Let’s Hope, Things Will Be Better

There was a time when all of this seemed like normal, exciting events to look forward to. Even the most unimportant and mundane things, like waking up for your morning commute and listening to podcasts on the way to work and school, it all seems a world away now. The US is slowly opening businesses and schools back up with strict hygiene protocols and I hope that this will continue for years to come. Some countries, like Australia and New Zealand, have been incredibly strict with their protocols and it shows as they have enjoyed many maskless days and have even recorded days and weeks with no COVID-19 cases. 

One day, a year from now, our lives will be semi-normal again with a more conscious effort in being hygienic, being considerate of people who need to take extra sick days to take care of themselves, and hopefully, we’re extremely patient with our essential workers who’ve been working really hard to keep their families and businesses afloat. Though COVID-19 isn’t going anywhere anytime soon, let’s keep relishing having these vivid dreams from time to time.

Harmeen is a student at Montclair State University, New Jersey and is majoring in Business Administration with a Concentration in Marketing. Of course, besides being a Marketing student, she's interested in fashion and lifestyle, and motivated to write unique pieces for her interests.
Tara Byrne

Montclair '21

Tara is 22 years old and a senior at Montclair State majoring in fashion studies with a minor in business. She loves keeping up with pop culture and catching up on her Youtube subscriptions. Tara mostly writes fashion, beauty, and lifestyle pieces for Her Campus. She is the current President and Co-Editor in Chief of Her Campus Montclair. In addition, she is a Co-Campus Coorespondent for Her Campus Montclair.