Style > Fashion

Out With the Old and In With The Old Again: Fashion Trends That Are Making a Comeback

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Maybe it was a bit too soon to start getting rid of last year’s fashion trends, as they might make a reappearance in the near future. Last season’s trends always seem to be reinvented, remodeled and brought back to center stage. While many of us may not be fans of these trends, they sure have been taking the fashion world by storm, most especially by TikTok and Instagram influencers. Now let’s take a look at a few “throwback” fashion trends that have recently been on our radar.

CHUNKY SNEAKERS

Chunky sneakers, also known as “dad shoes,” made their debut in the 1980s by none other than some stylish skaters. The first chunky sneaker that’s known as being the origin of the trend were the Etnies Natas 1. The chunky sneaker then made its way through the mid-90s and early 2000s, where they then took a remodeled look and style. They became a “sneaker meets platform,” which is what’s been on the rise again. They were iconically used by celebrities like the Spice Girls, Halle Berry, Selma Hayek and more. You can now find these sneakers just about anywhere and they are worn by many fashion influencers on Instagram and TikTok.

BUCKET HATS

The history of the Bucket had started many moons ago in the 1900s. They had originally been used by fishermen and farmers who would use these hats to protect themselves from the rain. Fast forward to the mid 50s to the late 70s, the bucket hats went from the open field to the battlefield in Vietnam. As seen in the hit American TV drama “MAS*H,” they were being worn by soldiers to protect their necks from the sun and heat. In the later years when Hip Hop and Rap were on the rise between the 80s to the early 2000s, they were once again seen atop the heads of famous celebrities like Jay-Z and Will Smith. Bucket hats seemed to have never really disappeared, simply just went under the radar. Now they have made their official comeback with influencers like Gigi Hadid and Hailey Bieber wearing them and posting bad ass selfies on Instagram.

TENNIS SKIRTS

Tennis skirts take the cake for the oldest fashion trend on this list, dating back to the mid to late 1800s. It came with the rise of the sport that it was given its name for: TENNIS! During the time of its appearance on the court, many women had to abide by societal standards and wear ankle length tennis skirts. Then one day in the 1900s, women decided it was time to leave the long a-line tennis skirt behind and bring in the pleated mini tennis skirts. Tennis skirts have now become a staple in many people’s wardrobes because it can give you that preppy vibe with a little bit of fun!

MATCHING SWEATSUITS

Matching sweatsuits made their appearance around the 1970s and could be seen in “Grease” when worn by none other than Danny Zuko, rocking a light grey crew neck and matching sweatpants. However, as all trends do, they become modified to fit the era. Matching sweatsuits (aka track suits) made another comeback in the 2000s, most famously worn by The Cheetah Girls who wore them in different colors in their iconic photo. In the present day, matching sweatsuits are the perfect cozy day outfit and can be styled in so many ways. They also pair especially well with those chunky (dad) sneakers I mentioned earlier.

So there you have it folks! A somewhat mini history of how these iconic fashion trends came to be and where they stand now. Don’t rush to put away those fashion pieces you thought were so “last year.” As they say, history does repeat itself… and so does fashion!

Do you rock any of these blasts from the past?

Sources:
https://www.crfashionbook.com/fashion/a21967443/history-of-bucket-hat-fashion/
https://www.highsnobiety.com/p/chunky-sneakers-history/
https://www.allure.com/gallery/tennis-fashion-history
https://www.thebubuzz.com/single-post/uncovering-the-history-of-the-matching-set

Arieliz Ramos

Montclair '23

I'm Arieliz and I'm a student at Montclair State University. Fashion & Beauty enthusiast. Harry Styles lover. Coffee Addict.