Style

Oscar de la Renta’s Spring 2020 Collection Has a Little Bit of Everything

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Oscar de la Renta’s Spring 2020 Ready to Wear collection featured bright colors, mixed matched prints, strappy heels and a dash of sparkle. 

If I could sum up this collection in a few words, it would be – summer vacation in the south of Spain. The Mediterranean vibes emitted from the palm trees, the three pastel Moorish inspired archways and the dozen large fruit-filled basket decorating the runway still has me longing for a sunny summer getaway. The high ceilings of the church-like setting provided for the serene piano music playing at the beginning of the show to echo, adding a dreamy element to the ambiance. However, there were little periods within the music where a steel drum would overpower the piano, adding a bit of a Latin vibe. I’m sure the creative team was trying to tap into the late Oscar de la Renta’s Dominican roots with this music and the vibrant colors showcased in the collection. 

The first half of the show showcased the typical spring and summer colors and prints, such as millennial pink, different hues of yellow, florals and stripes sashayed down the runway. However, they were worn in ways I haven’t really seen before. There were a few wrap dresses made from sheer pastel-colored tulle. These garments literally looked like a big sheet of tulle was cut and just artfully wrapped around the model. In other words, they look fashionably effortless.

The second half of the show featured the evening wear, which was a bit less than typical. I was expecting the same color scheme but was greeted with brown, mustard yellow, navy blue and metallics. It felt very fall meets new year’s eve, but I can’t lie, I’m into it. The majority of these evening looks were dresses or jumpsuits with the exception of a layered pant piece. In addition to the layering trend showcased, there were lots of fringed shirts, pants and skirts throughout this collection, as well as oversized bows. While I’m not that big of a fan of fringe or bows, I can definitely see myself wearing a piece much like the ensemble of this collection. These trends themselves are statement pieces that scream “chic”. One of my favorite looks from this collection is a teal dress with a beautifully intricate laser cut design that goes from the bodice of the dress down to the skirt. Absolutely. Stunning.

One of the most eye-catching displays from this collection is the accessories. From oversized floppy hats to floral handbags and colorful jewelry, this collection has it all. The chunky jewelry, gold chains and funky, fringed earrings are actually to die for; and I love how well-coordinated accessories are with outfits, truly pairs made in heaven!

Check out the full collection here!

Ana Hilario

Montclair '21

Ana graduated from Montclair State University with a degree in English. She loves reading, traveling, coffee, llamas, and the Oxford comma. Follow her on Instagram @ana_hilarious_ for good vibes and funky outfits.
Lauren Clemente recent graduate from Montclair State University who studied Communication and Media Arts. She held the role of President and Co-Campus Correspondent, as well as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus Montclair. She loves all things to do with content creation, fashion + beauty and traveling the world.