This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

If you weren’t looking forward to fall, Oscar de la Renta is about to change your mind.

Setting light orchestra music to be played in a grand hall with high ceilings and stone-like architecture, Oscar de la Renta came to impress!

This beautiful scene set up a great mood for their Fall 2020 Collection. This collection has a basis of comprising pieces with bright standout colors that have dark hues, so they can be simply matched with neutrals and other dark-toned pieces. 

There were a few switch ups in the music too, which definitely made the show better. They put their own spin on it as they kept a classical touch while mixing some synths and other beats to the music. From the light orchestra, it switched to retro funk music as prints were introduced, and once again when de la Renta started showing the textured gowns and dresses. 

This was definitely another standout when floral prints were introduced for one section. Florals during the fall time isn’t a new thing to be created in fashion, but these dark floral patterns were paired with pullover sweaters that had flower jeweled brooches. These gave a very chic look as there was a texture play with these particular looks, and they were even paired with flat, patent boots in various colors. 

My favorite piece of the night was an ombre-jeweled suit set. I’m sorry, let me emphasize that again: an OMBRE-JEWELED SUIT SET. Everything about it just screams “I dressed to demand your attention and I won’t have anything less!” The suit was a surprise and a contrast to de la Renta’s elegant and stunning gowns they customize and/or give for red carpet events. 

They continued to impress as I saw their different types of blazers and suit combinations! It looks like they’re trying something more inclusive to those who don’t love or feel comfortable wearing their gowns. In order to keep up with their audience and consumers, they’re trying their best to cater to anyone and everyone.   

Oscar de la Renta not only showcased their diversity in clothes but representation in models as well. It made me smile to see more representation in women not only by color but by features. There were many Caucasian women, yet they ranged from having dark brown hair to ginger and to blonde. I also saw a good amount of Asian representation, as well as brown and black women. I also saw one of the first models to be in a hijab, which was made out of the material that de la Renta incorporated throughout this collection. 

This was a special moment for minorities and our representation as we’re seeing more and more women who look like this and give us the hope and possibility to pursue this as a career one day. This collection for Fall 2020 definitely impressed me, as they played with originally bright colors like pink, and paired them with dark-toned pieces and accessories. By creating pieces with these bright colors and matching them with darker hues, this really gave Oscar de la Renta an edge this NYFW.

Harmeen is a student at Montclair State University, New Jersey and is majoring in Business Administration with a Concentration in Marketing. Of course, besides being a Marketing student, she's interested in fashion and lifestyle, and motivated to write unique pieces for her interests.
Lauren Clemente recent graduate from Montclair State University who studied Communication and Media Arts. She held the role of President and Co-Campus Correspondent, as well as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus Montclair. She loves all things to do with content creation, fashion + beauty and traveling the world.