An Open Letter to the People Who Told Me I Wouldn’t Succeed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Dear everyone who told me I wouldn’t succeed (specifically my high school guidance counselors),

You treated me like I wasn’t capable of anything. But I’m capable of so much more than you thought.

I spent four years dreading those quarterly meetings I was forced to attend, where I was treated like some sort of foreign species, just because I have a minor learning disability in math. 

I received good grades in every other subject, I always did my work, and my teachers liked me but apparently that wasn’t enough. Sure, the special treatment and extra time on tests were helpful, but I don’t think that makes up for the fact that you had no hope in me.

You even told me I wouldn’t be able to attend a four-year university after high school because of the higher-level math and science courses required. 

Instead, I was told to go to community college or head straight to work. It sucked hearing that while all of my friends were busy looking at schools all across the country. 

But you didn’t encourage me to try applying anyways. I did it on my own… and got in. 

My mom reminded me that anything could happen, giving me the hope that you didn’t. Although she probably thinks I could’ve gotten into Harvard. 

Now, I’m about to graduate from Montclair State University. It’s been a crazy journey, but no one here has ever doubted my capabilities like you did. I was pretty close to not even wanting to go to college, but I’m glad I took the chance. I like to think that I’m pretty successful where I’m at right now. 

I feel bad for anyone who feels discouraged, incapable or flawed because of a learning disability. I want them to know it won’t affect their lives as much as you tell them it will. High school is such an influential time in teen’s lives, so you should encourage them instead of giving up on them. 

I wish you had hope in me back then, because it may have been exactly what I needed.  

But, maybe it motivated me to prove you wrong.

– Amina

Photo Sources: 1, 2

Amina is currently a senior at Montclair State University studying communication and journalism. She has a passion for writing, digital media and creating content. When she's not writing, you can probably find her catching up on current events, trying new fitness classes or searching for the next best restaurant. You can view more of her work at aminalake.com.
Danielle has held various positions at Her Campus Montclair. Starting as a Contributing Writer during her sophomore year at MSU in 2015, she later became President & Editor-in-Chief during her senior year in 2017. She completed her B.A. in Communication & Media Arts with a minor in Leadership Development at Montclair State University in January 2018. Besides writing, she's a lover of cozy cafés, good lyrics, inspiring speeches, mountainous retreats, and sunsets on the skyline. She enjoys capturing the moment and has a passion for travel and discovery. You can often find her exploring NYC or venturing to one of her favorite East Coast spots.