tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

An Open Letter To My Freshman Roommate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Dear Roomie,

I think we can both agree freshman year was not how we expected.

The very first day we met, I honestly thought you were going to hate my guts. We were complete opposites, with you being extremely laid back and calm while I was just a big ball of energy. I remember the minute I walked into our dorm room – I saw your side all set up with purple and thought, “this girl has a good taste in color.” Then you came in the room and gave me hug.

At that moment, I knew you weren’t going to be that bad.

After a few weeks of getting to know each other, we came to realize that we weren’t as different as we thought. Come to find out, we both had the same taste in TV shows and movies. We also had the same sense of humor, which came in handy during our late night laughing fits. You embraced my weird habits and the noises I make in my sleep while I embraced your love for wine coolers and sneakers.

We’ve seen the best and worst sides of each other, but we were always there for one another. You’ve taught me life lessons (aka how to talk to boys) and you even helped me with my homework when I had no clue what I was doing. We constantly ate Easy Mac in our beds and took 3 hours naps daily. You were kind enough to bring me medicine every time I was sick and would always find ways to make me laugh, even on my worst days.

We might be complete opposites, but after living together for 9 months you’ve become one of my closest friends. You were a great first roommate and I wouldn’t change our one of a kind bond for anything.

Love,

Your Freshman Roomie

Source: 1 2

Hello everyone! My name is BreYana Williams and I currently attend Montclair State University pursuing a to receive a degree in fashion studies with a minor in journalism. I have always had a love for fashion and pop culture ever since I was little and being able to write for HerCampus is literally a dream come true. I have always had a knack for expressing myself through my clothes and writing down my feelings and now I am able to share my own personal input on fashion related topics. I am really excited to share myself with each one of you.
Sarah Vazquez is a senior at Montclair State University, majoring in English and minoring in Journalism. She is the current Editor-in-Chief and a Co-Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She is an avid concert-goer, podcast junkie, X-Files fanatic and someone who always has her nose buried deep inside a book.