An Open Letter To My Big Sister

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Dear Big Sis,

I’ve been in a bit of a funk lately. School’s been a little rough this semester and as a result, it has cut into our sister-time, severely. You also moved out six months ago so between that and your crazy, hectic schedule, it feels like years pass between proper visits (seriously, when’s the last time we’ve taken an “us-ie?” Christmas? Yikes.) You’re doing your thing and I’m super proud of you but I also worry.

I worry that maybe you get little lonely. I mean I could only imagine how hard it must be going from living with me, hovering over your every little move, to sheer solitude in the freedom of your own place (Yeah, I can hear you laughing as I type this.) Huh, I guess it’s just me missing you. Regardless, I just thought I’d write you a letter to tell you I miss you, I’m thinking of you and thank you.

For what you might ask? Well . . . .  

Thank You for Always Checking Up on Me

You don’t know how happy it makes me when I see a “Hey” or a “How’s School?” or a “I miss you” text pop up in my inbox from you. It’s nice to know that even in your busy schedule, you still make time and an effort to stay in touch and see how I am.

Thank You for All the Effort You Put Into Everything 

You do a lot, much more than the average person. You’re practically Wonder Woman. I know sometimes you might feel down and it might feel like you’re wasting your time or that your efforts go unnoticed, but they don’t. I appreciate everything you do for me but especially for yourself. From always trying to plan a fun birthday surprise for me to busting your butt at two jobs to go to school, I appreciate all the work you put in. Never give up. You’re capable of amazing things and you’re already doing them.

Thank You for Putting Up with a Built-in Bestie

Look, I know I’m not the easiest person to deal with. I’m quirky, I’m loud and I’m super emotional (what a trifecta!) We also have a pretty large age-gap, so growing up I know I was the textbook “annoying little sister.” I bugged you every time your friends were over, I wanted to go everywhere you went and I stole all your Backstreet Boys and N’SYNC CDs (#sorrynotsorry.) But when it was just the two of us and I would ask you to play or dance around to one of those CD’s, I don’t remember you saying no to me (too much; I mean hey, you’re only human.) Know that I really appreciated that and I cherish those memories because you know I look up to you, both metaphorically and literally. I wanted to be your best friend and looking back I could see how a 15 year-old might not want to spend every moment with a 5 year-old. But you still never made me feel excluded, and as I grew older, we grew incredibly close. So thank you for being my best friend (but you’re never getting your CD’s back.)

Thank You for Not Getting (Too) Mad When I Vet Your Boyfriends

I might be the little sister but that doesn’t mean I can’t be protective of you too. I know, I know, sometimes I was a little bit hard on some of them (albeit, not hard enough on others) but to me, you’re a goddess so you can’t expect me not to check up on who you’re dating and make sure they are treating you as such. You’re a queen. Don’t think I’m ever going to let you forget that. Besides, even after I scare them a little bit, they all seem to like me anyway! 

Thank You for Introducing Me to Awesome Music Growing Up

We both know that if I didn’t have you and it was up to mommy and poppy that I would’ve grown up on a strict dose of only Julio Iglesias and Billy Joel (well, stricter than I already did.) You opened me up to people who are still some of my favorites today: Aaliyah, Britney, Beyoncé, Justin Timberlake and Mariah, just to name a few. And remember when you used to make me those mix CD’s? Where you’d have the new Avril Lavigne song followed by a Jay-Z song followed by a Spice Girls song? Yeah, I do too. And they were my favorite thing to see sticking out of my stocking Christmas morning. You really made my childhood great with all that awesome music (I still look back fondly on my Reggaeton phase.) You were the one who created the soundtrack to my childhood and I couldn’t be more grateful.  

Thank You for Always Supporting Me

Whether it’s congratulating me on getting on The Dean’s List or simply giving me a hug when I’m down, knowing I’ll always have someone in my corner who has my back is an irreplaceable feeling that I hope you feel goes both ways. 

We may have those moments where we fight and argue and say we’re never going to speak to each other again, but you know as well as I do that those words carry no weight. Like I said, you’re my best friend and best friends never give up on each other. (Plus, no matter how bad I piss you off, we are blood so you’re never getting rid of me.)

But in all honesty, this was just something I needed to get off my chest cause I felt that you deserved to hear it.

I hope this letter left you warm hearted and with a smile from ear to ear.  

Can’t wait until I see you next!

Love,

Your (ALWAYS) Baby Sis

P.S I’ll write that other letter soon, promise! 

Sarah Vazquez is a senior at Montclair State University, majoring in English and minoring in Journalism. She is the current Editor-in-Chief and a Co-Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She is an avid concert-goer, podcast junkie, X-Files fanatic and someone who always has her nose buried deep inside a book.