This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

As you begin packing for all of your summer adventures, don’t forget to bring one important thing with you: a camera!

I am a firm believer in living in the moment, but sometimes you want to savor certain moments. Whether you like the convenience of snapping shots right on your phone or if a DSLR is more your thing for professional-looking pictures, I believe you should take a camera with you everywhere and be ready to snap a photograph at any time.

First off, notice I’m talking about pictures, not videos. I am very much against watching beautiful moments unfold through the lens of a video camera. When I do this, I feel that any emotions I am feeling are greatly alleviated, and you may even miss something that can only be seen with the human eye. However, taking a quick snapshot only takes a few seconds, therefore hardly taking you away from the true focus of a moment. Moments come and go so easily so precious memories should not be forgotten. 

With this being said, don’t miss out on opportunities to take pictures with your friends and family! In college, you naturally begin to miss your loved ones back home. Looking at pictures you took with these people is a quick fix to cure some homesickness! And of course, if you are traveling, you better not forget to snap some shots of the beautiful sights you see! This is where you can totally get crafty with photography. A beautiful photo can leave people breathless. After you get that great picture, you will feel so satisfied when you look back at it in a few years. Finding that perfect angle is a process not just for selfies! And as far as selfies go, take as many of those as you want! Never be afraid to celebrate some self-love by taking pictures of yourself. Whether you prefer a cheesy smile or a sexy smirk, go ahead and post that face on social media to show yourself off!

Taking pictures can be just as exciting as looking at them afterward. I mean, why else would photographers love their careers so much? There are so many different ways to capture an image, and the way you do it can say a lot about you, so get out there and go on some adventures with your camera this summer!

Image Sources: 1 and Madalyn Rupprecht

Sarah Vazquez is a senior at Montclair State University, majoring in English and minoring in Journalism. She is the current Editor-in-Chief and a Co-Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She is an avid concert-goer, podcast junkie, X-Files fanatic and someone who always has her nose buried deep inside a book.