Style

NYFW SS2020: Tory Burch’s Eclectic Twist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

I died and was reborn in fashion heaven.

This fashion show had many twists and turns; all the prints, colors and textures you can imagine. It completely stood alone and far from past Tory Burch collections. My initial thought on Tory Burch is very neutral colored handbags. SS2020 is totally out of that comfort zone. All of these outfits scream lady boss from morning through night.

The first model walked out and in came the sensual, melodic sounds of whispery story-telling music (I felt the need to be traveling through the streets of Europe on a Moped bike). The show started off with soft pinks, creams and little pops of primary colors. The same styles flowed through and through: puffy sleeves, silks, florals and lace. But as the music became louder and more intriguing, so did the fashion. One outfit really stood out to me, altering the rest of the pieces throughout the Tory Burch SS2020 collection. 

The bold, beautiful colors finally arrived. This time around, Burch decided to turn the florals up a notch by placing darker tones as backgrounds. Many of these formal looks were paired with… sneakers? I didn’t really know how to feel about that. But I guess when you’re a lady boss on the go, comfort is #1.

Tory Burch makes print-mixing into fashion. We all know mixing prints can either go really well or it can be a hot mess. In this case, I need to learn how to start mixing; this look is effortless yet professional. Got an interview coming up? This is the new go-to style! Burch predicts this trend will live through 2020. 

Another must-see trend is layering pieces, and I’m not talking about a tee and a jacket. I’m talking about a strapless dress over a turtleneck long sleeve. This is the next level of layering; especially when it comes to turning your summer pieces into winter ones and vice-versa.

Runway looks can be extremely out of the ordinary, but they also easily predict the fast-fashion retail hanging in our closets. So keep an eye out; maybe these styles will be in your favorite stores soon. Are you daring enough to try any of these looks next year?

Giselle Huasipoma is a Communication & Media Arts student with a strong passion for writing, fashion and digital media. Whether she's posting on her own personal blog or editing articles for Her Campus Montclair, Giselle's is set on her ultimate career goal; working at an agency pitching all of her creative ideas!
Lauren Clemente recent graduate from Montclair State University who studied Communication and Media Arts. She held the role of President and Co-Campus Correspondent, as well as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus Montclair. She loves all things to do with content creation, fashion + beauty and traveling the world.