Style

NYFW 2018 Ralph Lauren: 50 Years of Polo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

On September 7, Ralph Lauren presented his 50 year anniversary New York Fashion Week show live from Central Park. This was the same location that he held his 40 year anniversary show a decade ago. The park holds a dear place in Lauren’s heart considering he is a New Yorker himself.

The show was held at the Conservatory Garden, the only formal garden within Central Park. The garden consists of three styles: French, Italian and English. This created an extremely elegant environment, suiting Lauren’s style perfectly.

While waiting for the show to start, displays were set around the runway to reflect on the past 50 years of Polo looks. As guests browsed through the Ralph Lauren museum, we were able to see some major celebrities making their appearances and showing support for the designer. These stars consisted of Anne Hathaway, Martha Stewart and Kanye West.

Once the show opened we were greeted with 10 minutes of formal wear. This portion revealed new looks for men and women combining 1920’s styles with a current twist. Looks consisted of neutral tones and loose fitting clothes.

Ascot caps finished off most of the male looks, while fringe was a staple for the females. The formal wear portion concluded with beautifully designed dresses, in both simple and intricate patterns. Gigi Hadid made an appearance and she stole the show as always!

The second half of the show was children’s and casual wear. Honestly, my heart was melting here. I was obsessed with the relationships shown between the different age groups of models as they walked. Hands were held, smiles were shared, hugs were given. A family environment was immediately created on the small runways right from the first “family” that walked down the aisle.

The audience was visibly pleased as well. The bright colors presented here were trends I can easily see being picked in the near future. Most of these looks consisted of white sweaters with bright accents and a peacoat to polish off the look.

Overall, I could not have been more in love with the show! The clothes were amazing, as expected, but nothing could top the beauty of the location. Holding his show within the Conservatory Garden was an excellent decision to go along with his theme. The English design of the building in which the show took place accented the clothes beautifully. It was easy to see the audience was extremely pleased as well. It’s going to be tough to top this one, Ralph!

Check out the full collection here!

Cecily Lovas

Montclair '21

Cecily Lovas is a junior at Montclair State University, studying Communications and Media Arts. She's a city girl at heart, constantly exploring New York City, and always looking for new adventures. Her other interests consist of music, movies, and health/fitness. She is a contributing writer as well as project manager for Montclair State's Chapter of Her Campus.
Emma Flusk

Montclair '19

Emma Flusk is recent graduate from Montclair State University, where she majored in Television and Digital Media. She was the Editor-in-Chief and a Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She’s passionate about anything that has to do with lifestyle, beauty and wellness for women. She is a self-proclaimed craft queen, semi-pro binge-watcher and a lover of all dogs.