This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

It’s officially the holiday season! It’s time to go on whichever streaming service you have and find a holiday movie to watch. There are always the classics that you can go back to, like “Home Alone,” but there are also some new Christmas movies to check out! Here’s a list of some Christmas movies that have come out this year.

1. “Falling for Christmas” – Netflix

Lindsay Lohan is back! Lohan and Chord Overstreet, who is most famously known for playing Sam Evans on Glee, star in this wholesome movie. Lohan stars as heiress Sierra Belmont who, after a skiing accident, has amnesia. She winds up staying at the lodge owned by Overstreet’s character, Jake Russell. Jake is a widow raising his daughter while trying to keep the North Star Lodge running with his mother-in-law. Sierra struggles with helping out at the lodge at first, but she starts to get the hang of things and tries to help save the lodge as she and Jake start falling for each other. 

1. “Christmas with You” – Netflix

Another actor who’s back is Freddie Prinze Jr! Prinze Jr. stars in this rom-com along with Aimee Garcia which follows pop star, Angelina (Garcia), who’s struggling with writing a Christmas song for her label that’s threatening to drop her. When she sees a cover of one of her songs that her fan, Cristina, posted, she pays her a visit and meets single father Miguel (Prinze Jr.). Miguel is a music teacher and songwriter. The two end up writing the Christmas song that could help her career while Miguel and his family are prepping for Cristina’s quinceañera. As Angelina and Miguel work together, the two grow close and realize who they want to spend Christmas with.

1. “Something from Tiffany’s” – Amazon Prime

In this movie starring Zoey Deutch (anyone else first knew her from Suite Life on Deck?) and Kendrick Sampson, there’s a big mix-up involving two couples. A woman (Deutch) receives a ring from her boyfriend, but the catch is that it isn’t for her. His Tiffany’s gift bag got mixed up with another man’s bag — a man (Sampson) who desperately wants that ring back so he can propose to his girlfriend. This mix-up ends up changing their lives in this holiday rom-com.

1. “The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special” – Disney+

This is for the Marvel fans who always wanted to see some of our heroes get into the holiday spirit. To cheer up Peter, AKA StarLord, Mantis and Drax try to find him the perfect present. Their idea: bring Kevin Bacon to meet Peter. The Guardians all work together to give Peter a Christmas he won’t forget. 

1. “Holiday Harmony” – HBO Max

Gail, portrayed by MSU alumni Annelise Cepero, is a singer-songwriter who has a chance to perform for iHeartRadio Christmas Eve Special. However, she gets into an accident that leaves her stranded in a small town. While she’s okay, her van isn’t, which means she can’t make it to the biggest opportunity of her career. To afford the repairs her van needs, she agrees to help a group of students prepare for their Christmas Eve gala. During the preparations and waiting for her van to be fixed, a romance starts to develop between Gail and the mechanic, Jeremy. 

1. “Your Christmas or Mine?” – Amazon Prime

Asa Butterfield and Cora Kirk star in this story about a couple that accidentally end up spending Christmas with the other’s family. They originally decided to spend Christmas apart, but they each change their minds and try to surprise the other. All trains are canceled because of the weather, leaving them stuck where they are. Issues arise when James (Butterfield) and Hayley (Kirk) have to lie about their relationship while realizing that there’s a lot they don’t know about each other. But this is a holiday rom-com, so you know it will all be okay in the end!

1. “A Hollywood Christmas” – HBO Max

Imagine living out your own holiday rom-com. That’s what happens to Jessica, played by Jessika Van, who is a director most known for directing Christmas movies. In this rom-com, she is dealing with a network exec, Christopher (Josh Sickward), who is on set to determine if the network should keep investing in Christmas movies, including hers, which could cause trouble for her. Throughout all this, she is living out the tropes from the movies she loves to direct.

1. “Hotel for the Holidays” – Amazon Prime (Freevee)

Cheryl Blossom and Aladdin is a pairing I didn’t know I needed. Madeleine Petsch plays Georgia, the manager of a hotel that could use some work but has many different kinds of guests, like a pop star and a former prince. Mena Massoud plays the kind chef, Luke, who works at the hotel and who may have a crush on the manager. The former prince, who she is hoping will invest in the hotel, seems to be interested as well. There’s also many other characters with their storylines in this Christmas movie.

Whether you choose to re-watch a classic or watch one of the newest Christmas movies, remember to make time for yourself to relax and enjoy the winter break!

Selena is a senior majoring in Communication & Media Studies. She loves books, watching TV shows, makeup, social media, and writing.