Style > Beauty

The Mystery Behind Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

What if I told you there was a face mask that would make you throw out every other product you currently use in your skincare routine? You’d probably think that sounds too good to be true, or that it must be too expensive. I wouldn’t blame you for being skeptical because like you, I`m also tired of splurging on products that never seem to really do anything for my skin. I always have to use one product to control my acne, another product to exfoliate and another product to balance out the overall appearance of my skin. All these products rarely deliver on the results they promise and leaves my skin feeling worse than before I used them. Plus, investing in all of these products that don’t even work that great, puts a huge hole in my pocket. I’d given up in ever having clear skin until I stumbled upon this unique product that revolutionized my skincare routine.  

I went to my local CVS store looking for something else when I came across a container with a cartoonish Aztec temple on the label. It seemed very familiar like I`ve seen it somewhere but couldn`t remember from where. On the front of the label, it read, “Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay”. The label also claimed to be the world’s most powerful facial and to deliver deep pore cleansing. I took this mysterious container home with me for only $10. That was two months ago and I use it about twice per month. I have sensitive and oily skin, and I constantly struggle with acne and blackheads. I use this clay every two weeks and I leave it on for not more than 10 minutes. The results are insane. After using it consistently this is what I experienced: I had less acne, my oily skin felt more under control, smooth texture, even skin tone, clearer skin, no more blackheads and impurities. After using it once, I could already tell a difference. I don’t like wearing makeup every day, so having clear skin without having to cake on foundation is really important to me. 

I was so impressed with my results that I rarely use anything else on my skin besides a moisturizer to counteract the oil taken out of it from the clay mask. I decided to do more research on the product and the company to see if this could work for other people too. I’m surprised by how little information I could find on it. A majority of my knowledge about the product came from an article by Vox, reviews on Amazon and whatever was written on the container itself. 

Vox writer Cheryl Wischhover had called the company that is located in Pahrump, Nevada to also get more information from the founder. She was told that the founder`s name is Susan but wasn`t given a last name and that Susan wasn`t there because she travels a lot. Wischhover then asked if she could contact the CEO by email and was then told that Susan only accepts contact through fax. After a week of no reply, a representative answered to tell the writer that Susan didn`t want to speak to her. So Wischhover had to resort to other resources to get some answers. Through my own research I found out that the company does have a website but it’s very vague so that’s probably why the Vox writer wanted to talk to the founder herself. I did learn from the website that Cleopatra used clay from the Nile River and Arabian desert for her own skincare routine and that this product is cruelty-free. 

If that wasn’t interesting enough, there were more strange facts about the healing clay and the company, reported from the Vox article. It was inferred that the product was probably first sold in health food stores such as Whole Foods. I know now this product can be found almost anywhere such as Walmart, Target, CVS and Amazon. It was also reported that the first Amazon review dates back to 2005 and since then has acquired almost 5,000 reviews. By 2012, the Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay had been picked up by popular publications and websites. Youtubers and Instagram influencers also couldn`t get enough of it. All of this was free publicity for the product which worked in its favor. The company has done virtually no marketing or advertising for itself but has remained a hot topic in skincare for more than a decade. The Vox article also included an update with more background on the company. It was discovered that the company was founded in 1986 by a woman in Indiana named Mary Roman. Allegedly it`s now run by her children Denise and Patrick. There is still no answer from the company to comment or who Susan is. 

Since my research only provided me with so much information, I asked friends if they have tried it. One person got back to me and this is what she had said, “I have had the mask for years. I don’t use it as often as I should, but it helped balance my complexion and it’s a great exfoliate (Angelisa Valdez).” I also looked at reviews on amazon to get some more testimonials. On Amazon, the healing clay has a 4.6 star rating. One review claims they will never stop using the product and offered tips on how to make the clay more moisturizing. That’s really useful because I did find the clay to be very drying. Many beauty gurus would recommend mixing it with apple cider vinegar to get a better consistency for when applying the clay. Personally I just mix it with water because I don`t trust putting anything acidic on my face. Another review claims it healed her cystic acne and that the product is magical. 

There are still many unanswered questions that circle this miracle healing clay. Why is it called Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay? Who is actually in charge of the company now? How are they able to remain relevant after so many years with no word from the company or marketing? Why do they refuse to comment? The most important question of all: Who is Susan? If you really want to know how this healing clay works then you`re going to have to try it for yourself. It can be used for other purposes too such as body wraps, clay baths, insect bites and more. Once you try it, then you can decide for yourself if 1 lb of clay is really worth all the hype.

Emmy Fasbender

Montclair '22

I`m a student at Montclair State University majoring in Biology. My career goals are to go to medical school and publish my own collection of poems. When I`m not studying, I`m going on hikes with friends and stopping by the nearest Starbucks after. I`m from Vernon, NJ where you may get stuck behind a tractor on your way to work.
Lauren Clemente recent graduate from Montclair State University who studied Communication and Media Arts. She held the role of President and Co-Campus Correspondent, as well as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus Montclair. She loves all things to do with content creation, fashion + beauty and traveling the world.