081220 5
081220 5
Courtesy of Christine Hahn
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Everyone gets their styles inspired in different ways. It can be from celebrities, influencers, or just following a trend. For me, my inspiration definitely comes from my favorite TV characters. 

1. Caroline Forbes from The Vampire Diaries

Caroline Forbes is a character that I relate to a lot, apart from the whole vampire thing, and her style isn’t any different. She has a very feminine, cute style that includes a lot of white or pastel sundresses and cardigans. Even when she is wearing jeans and a nice top, the tops are usually pretty colors with a floral pattern or cute detail. I would say my everyday style is very much like hers, which I love! I feel like the style fits my personality very well and is something I am very comfortable wearing.

1. Blair and Serena from Gossip Girl

When it comes to Blair and Serana, my style is probably more like Blair’s, but that doesn’t mean I don’t like Serena’s too. Their tastes are very expensive and dressed up, and I also enjoy going out in heels and a nice dress. Although my clothes aren’t from Chanel or Dior, when I dress like them, I feel confident and ready to take on the day. I wouldn’t say this is my everyday style, but it makes an appearance at least once a month for a photoshoot or dinner. I highly suggest people try to dress like either one of them and see how it makes them feel.

1. Betty from Riverdale

Betty’s famous sweaters and pastel colors are what draw me to her style. I look more to her if I’m trying to do a cute winter outfit or somewhat of a vintage look. Many of the sweaters I wear are pink, light blue, or teal, and the same goes for her. The collars on her sweaters are also a very cute detail. Her style is girly casual I would say and is perfect for days where I’m more in the mood to relax than getting dressed up. I dress like her more in the winter than in other seasons since she is most known for her sweaters, but you can definitely see me pulling inspiration from her here and there any time of year.

I know I always have something to go back to when I need inspiration, and having that can be very helpful. If you do not already have a go-to person, character, or anything else for inspiration, I would suggest getting one. This is also very helpful if you are looking to change your style since you will have many outfits to replicate. Also, when creating an outfit, don’t be afraid to put your own twist on it to make it fit your style even more. Even if you know what you like and don’t like, it never hurts to have something to help you if you aren’t feeling inspired yourself.

Shannon Egan

Montclair '22

Shannon is a Senior at Montclair State University majoring in Fashion studies. When she’s not in class or doing her assignments she can be seen styling new outfits, watching Netflix, practicing makeup looks, or hanging out with friends. She will be focusing on writing about fashion and beauty and is excited to share her knowledge on it.
Lauren Clemente recent graduate from Montclair State University who studied Communication and Media Arts. She held the role of President and Co-Campus Correspondent, as well as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus Montclair. She loves all things to do with content creation, fashion + beauty and traveling the world.